Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore Attempted Theft Ignition Not Working

eamonlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VR
Someone has broken into my 94 VR Commodore and attempted to steal it, they have ripped of the steering column cover and broken off the round plastic piece that grips all the wires and tried to turn it with a screwdriver. I have put everything back together but there are four wires not connected to anything. The car switches on and everything is working but the car is not starting. I have tried to jump lead it and a new battery in it but not getting anywhere. I have included photos of the wires, can anyone advise where these need to go or if they have pulled something out or would it be an immobiliser problem?

DSCF1317..jpgDSCF1318..jpg

Thanks

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
the three wires hanging down, the two that go to the black holder thing are the ignition illumination globe.

the purple one is your problem, its for the immobiliser, and needs to go to the silver 'key reader' ring around the barrel.

eamonlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VR
Cheers for the quick reply, I just had a quick look there, is it a simple process of just plugging it in, I can't see anywhere to plug it in which is making me think they could have broken something off?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
around the barrel, the silver contact ring, should have a small connecting tab facing along the barrel.

to get it running, press the door unlock button on the key, then insert key and start like normal.
using the button bypasses the need to have the key making contact.

eamonlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VR
Have checked and there is no tab on the silver contact ring to connect the wires into, is there any where else the wires could go?

Thanks

eamonlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VR
Just tried it again and put a new battery in with it. Got it started. Thanks a million!!

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
nice, now you just gotta get a new key reader (the silver ring), and new steering column surrounds and you'll be set.

just a tip, when you get a new/second hand key reader, get one from a vt onwards, they are a full ring instead of the two seperate contacts.