Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring in vs - vn 5ltr

psytops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 ute
ok can some one tell me the diffrence from vn to vs engine loom i know there is no controls for the auto vn-vp
so in short what im asking is can u use a vn loom and computer and run it in a vs with vn loom and computer ???

alexp36

Keep honkin-I'm reloading
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I'm currently running a VN loom and computer in my VR. So far only two issues - 1. Fuel pump relay had the wire on a different pin on the plug connecting the loom to the under bonnet relay box. Easy fix, just pulled the wire out of one side of the connecter and put it in the right place to match the other side of the connector plug.
2. Haven't found the wiring for the speedo yet, but this is more slackness on my part not spending the time to trace the wiring yet.
I've got the wiring diagrams for VN v8 and VR V8, if you want them. But you can get them (plus the VS V8 one I guess) from Doctor Bob's website "Rob's Creative Calibrations".
I found that most wiring colour coding, and pin assignments, were the same between VNV8, VRV8, and VRV6. Presumably they are standardised, and hopefully will be much the same on the VS too.

*Edit - should have mentioned the obvious - I'm running a 5lt from a VN too, not just the loom and computer. Although previous owner told me the motor itself was originally from a VR.
Mind you, he probably would have also told me the tooth fairy is real if he thought that would help make the sale...

Last edited:

psytops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 ute
thanks i have found another guy running vn loom in his vr as well im running a vt motor with cam and stuff but im gutting my old motor out to put this in thanks

By the way
speedo wires
positive and negative and purple wire is the signal

psytops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 ute
well from what im told they are on vn dash loom but on vs are on the main harness

alexp36

Keep honkin-I'm reloading
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
But, even on the VS, it must go into the dash loom at some point, right? Otherwise how would the speedo signal get to the speedo?
So I guess my real question is, does any of the wiring from the dash loom come through the firewall into the engine bay, and if so, where roughly would it come through?
Somewhere near the steering maybe?

budwizer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
Vn speedo wire comes up through the floor just in front of the auto shifter plate then goes into the cluster/trip computer and divides the engine pulses by 5 then that signal goes to the ECU so that it runs correctly.

Vs speedo wire is on the engine loom and comes up the inside of the firewall and goes through with the engine loom on the passenger side and goes into the vs ecu and divides the signal by 5 then goes out to the cluster.

if the vn ecu signal is not divided by 5, then the ecu will think your doing 220km (max and cutout) when in actual fact you will be doing around 43km/h. to fix this you'll need a "speedo corrector kit from jaycar" and setup accordingly.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Maloo R8 #0422, Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
and how exactly do u divide it by 5? or how do you setup it up accordingly?

jayz383

jayz383
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive v8
if i was to replace the tailshaft and speedo drive off the t700 with the 4l60e one, how easy would this be and then all i would have to do is make up a lock up kit for my converter? the trans is already in the vehicle (vr v8) and running the vr loom/computer with the vn engine and trans.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Maloo R8 #0422, Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
thats alot of dicking around for a solution that wont work ull have to get someone whos done something similar to wire it in for you some one i know will be doing it for me soon so ill note what wires go where and post them up for ya