Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone used a solar trickle charger?

pecksterism99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
We don't use our VR Calais much, and so the battery tends to go flat ... we don't have a garage, so we can't use a conventional trickle charger.

Was wondering if anyone had tried something like this:

Smart Solar Battery Charger - Jaycar Electronics

Unfortunately VR cigarette lighters only power up on accessory key position, so I would have to cut into the wiring somewhere. I'd probably put the solar panel on the back shelf and run the leads into the boot and connect to a live feed, I guess like that going to the boot light.

Skidney

Utes do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP UTE
why do you need a garage to use a simple 12v charger...

pecksterism99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Skidney, because we are on the 6th floor ... and it would be a mess if we ran an extension cord down into the carpark!!!

COMMY VP 666

COMMY VP V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
COMMODORE VP
i bought a cheapy one and it didnt charge to well. but it work radio on and all.

wat you can do is run twin core from battery. black on earth and red on battery. run it thru fire down interior side behind seats and have a plug in on the parcel self

see how it goes

all you need is wire and the unit

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
I used two on my dash for a while. I just hard wired a triple socket adapter to the battery. I had a really crappy old battery at the time and it used to go flat a lot. It was the old one from my dads cruiser and it didn't have the nads to start it anymore. I don't think I ever had a flat once I put the solar chargers in, except when I cleverly left the headlights on. But finally I forked out on a new battery and took the panels out.