Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can anyone give me some insight into this dilemma? Cars broke and so am I.

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
So I need some help guys. I bought a car from a guy and he told me the fuel pump was shot. The car wouldn't start on its on but the guy sprayed some 'Start Ya Bastard' instant starter spray in the air intake and it turned over after a few cranks.

So I drive the car home. Leave it in driveway for a few days. Change fuel pump and car does still not start. So I thought I'd just start it with the spray and take it to a mechanic, but now it wont even work when I do that. Before I go further I should mention it's dual fuel

When I turn the ignition a light used to come on, on the LPG gauge, where I can flick it from Petrol to LPG. (image below) but nothing happens any more.

I really can't afford a tow truck + mechanic to get it running. I need to figure out why the light doesn't come on any more so I can at least drive it out to the mechanic. I think the gauge has something to do with the problem anyway. I mean nothing else has changed - even if I installed the fuel pump wrong, it wasn't working in the first place anyway.

Checked all the relevant fuses (under the steering wheel and under bonnet only - don't know where any others are).

Checked the relays for fuel pump.

This has really frustrated me and I apologise for the threads I've been making.. Don't know where else to go.

thank-you.

Attachments

• stupidfk..jpg
    stupidfk..jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 228

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Gas system is a Sprint Gas AEB 295.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 V6 + VZ Acclaim Wagon
Hi, How did you go with this one? Just wondering if you got it fixed yet. If not, assuming the battery is still charged and the engine is cranking, I'd suggest switching to petrol and trying to start it on petrol first. Starting on gas can be a pain at the best of times. If still no go, I'm sure there must be a point in the fuel line that you can disconnect and see if there is any fuel flowing. Hopefullys omeone will be able to recomend the best spot to do this. If there is fuel flow, then I would probably take the plugs out next and see what condition they are in. This is just what I would do, but someone may have some better suggestions.
Good luck!

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Hi, How did you go with this one? Just wondering if you got it fixed yet. If not, assuming the battery is still charged and the engine is cranking, I'd suggest switching to petrol and trying to start it on petrol first. Starting on gas can be a pain at the best of times. If still no go, I'm sure there must be a point in the fuel line that you can disconnect and see if there is any fuel flowing. Hopefullys omeone will be able to recomend the best spot to do this. If there is fuel flow, then I would probably take the plugs out next and see what condition they are in. This is just what I would do, but someone may have some better suggestions.
Good luck!

Changed some fuses around and got the LPG gauge thingy light to come back on. Managed to start the car on gas, but it still wouldn't start on petrol. I got really fed up and took it to a mechanics last thursday. He had it for 4 days and could not figure out what was wrong with it. He ended up taking it to an auto electricians who had it for a couple of days, taking things apart, putting them back together.

It ended up being a hidden kill switch under the ash tray :mad: :mad: :mad:. The dope I bought it off never mentioned it and I doubt he even knew it was there himself (he didn't have it long). Ended up with a pain in the arse $250 bill and no car for 5 days.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 V6 + VZ Acclaim Wagon
lol, kill switches can be handy if you know where they are! Glad you got it sussed out. Pity it cost you all those dollars for nothing though.