Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Calais cruise/brake light issues

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hey everyone, I'm a bit stuck in my quest to restore the workings of cruise control to my calais.

First thing I did was check the indicator stalk, to find the wires were broken - so replaced that. Now the green CRS light comes on the dash but it won't activate.

Changed both brake globes, and noticed the right hand side is always on. Like when you have you headlights on, the brake lights are lit up but dim, its dim on one side and bright on the other.

I think this is what's stopping the cruise from activating, how do I fix it? do I need to chase down a wiring loom from the wreckers or is there an easier fix?

Last edited:

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Figure out why the brake lights are always on, and that should fix your problem.
The cruise system uses a brake light signal as a cancel signal, so with the brakes constantly on, it will never set.

Temporarily unplug the brake light switch from above the brake pedal and see if the brake lights go out.
report back results.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok I pulled out the tail light with the problem and had a bit of a fiddle and put it back together.
now the brake light doesnt come on like before it acts as it should, but the check brake light icon comes on the dash
only when the headlights are on?

and cruise still does not activate.

tried disconnecting the brake switch but no change.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
the cruise system uses another brake switch to disengage cruise, u should see 2 switches above the brake pedal.

that check brake light is telling you there is a globe thats blown. do all taillights work?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah I had a look at both of them can you tell me how far in they should be?

All globes work, it seems something is a bit dodgy on the right hand side one though.
I tried using a different wiring loom to no avail so I put the normal one back in.

Ideas?

EDIT: I put new globes in the tail lights - but not the boot lid lights

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
are they normal globes or LEDS? i've had problems with the connections and gook (anti-corrosive stuff) in the sockets and a new loom fixed that.

the gap i cant remember but you can adjust to suit when the lights come on inrelation to how far the brake is pressed. from memory you want it so just as the brakes just begin to engage.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
bump, anyone know what I should look for/replace to fix this fault?

in other news the interior light doesn't come on when the front passenger door is opened? would that just be a case of re-soldering some joints underneath the door cards?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I just had the same thing.
Got a new switch all go now.
The one that the door pushes in when you shut it.