Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I get my indicators to flash at normal speed after swapping to led lighting?

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
I'm running clear headllights that tend to show all the globes in the front end pretty clearly and this makes the indicators look stupid with big orange bulbs sitting in there... anyway my solution was to put some led indicator lights in there which looks brilliant now because the big orange globes are gone.
My problem now is that the indicators flash very quickly when turning with the led's in (the way they would if i had a blown globe somewhere). Strangley though, they flash at normal speed when the hazard lights are on.
I guess they must not draw enough current to replicate a fat old globe in the electrical system and the system acts like there is a blown globe... can I slow it back down again?

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
You are correct and will need to add a Resister (or a globe for a cheap fix) to the light circuits, as the Flasher Can uses the original globe resistance to time the flashing.

Have a talk to an auto sparky or look at the Hella or Narva websites.

Something like this;
http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Led-33226.htm

Last edited:

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Measure the resistance on the orange indicator globe and what ever reading you get put that same size resistor in. Try to get a high wattage one.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
just remember to put the resistor somewhere where it wont burn anything, coz they get hot.

or you could buy an LED flaher can, that clicks in place with no mods

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
or you could buy an LED flaher can, that clicks in place with no mods

Is there much dash to pull out to get to the original flasher wiring in a newer Commodore?

Also I noticed the multi-million dollar electronic flasher noise developed by GMH in the newest Commodores - How is this effected by LEDs?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
pop the panel down under the steering column, and the flasher an is around there somewhere. pull it out, put new one in. it looks like a long relay.

the new flasher stuff im not sure about led effects, gotta be careful with what globes go in them i think but never played wth them