Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED lights legal or not... ANSWER

ALIII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi all,

I have bought my self a set of 42cm x 42 LED lights to hook up to my car, while doing my reading through a few forums there has been no straight answer; i believe i might have it for Vic (sorry to the rest of you)

I have got off the phone with Constable Adam from the Springvale police station in the Traffic Management Unit in regards to the legality of changes to lights.

Headlights
It is perfectly legal to change your headlights to a white halogen globe, i.e. a globe that emits a clear white light rather than the standard yellow. It is ILLEGAL to change the color of your headlights to anything other than white, i.e. red, green, yellow, blue.
Simple rule: at night when you look at the globe, it should not show any other color other than yellow or white.

Parkers
White LED parkers are fine, so long as they do no emit a color other than white. it is ILLEGAL to change your parking lights to anything other than a white or yellow. This is an instant defect.
NOTE The new trend with the LED parkers like the GTS HSV's are COMPLETELY LEGAL!!!! However, the only legislation that stops drivers are that the "lights should be 'dazzling' to other drivers" (those are the words i was quoted). These lights need to be white and not draw too much attention to yourself (sort of beats the point in having them).
Simple rule: if a cop notices them because they are too bright, then u will get a ticket

Fog lights
In Vic, it is against the law to drive with your fog lights on in these following circumstances:
a) in a built up area
b) when there is no fog
c) if they are too bright and distract other driver.
Otherwise a normal halogen, white halogen, white LED are perfectly legal.

Guys, i hope this helps a few of you keep your cars on the road and keep that ugly yellow thing off your cars.

Regards,
Ali

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Hi all,

I have bought my self a set of 42cm x 42 LED lights to hook up to my car, while doing my reading through a few forums there has been no straight answer; i believe i might have it for Vic (sorry to the rest of you)

I have got off the phone with Constable Adam from the Springvale police station in the Traffic Management Unit in regards to the legality of changes to lights.

I personally wouldn't believe what a cop says. Most don't know the ADRs at all.
Just go into your local transport authority (dont ring) and speak to someone there who is trained on the subject.

Last edited:

ALIII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah I agree, don't just take a cops word for it.. Some of them might be having a bad day and out pops some car beaming him in the eye!

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
I personally wouldn't believe what a cop says. Most don't know the ADRs at all.
Just go into your local transport authority (dont ring) and speak to someone there who is trained on the subject.

Also, be careful with your terminology. ADRs are rules that only apply to newly manufactured and registered vehicles - this is not what you are interested in.
You need to know if your car complies with the state traffic act. They are very different sets of rules.

Once a car has been manufactured, registered and sold from new, ADRs are no longer inportant.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Also, be careful with your terminology. ADRs are rules that only apply to newly manufactured and registered vehicles - this is not what you are interested in.
You need to know if your car complies with the state traffic act. They are very different sets of rules.

Once a car has been manufactured, registered and sold from new, ADRs are no longer inportant.

this is incorrect, all parts still need to follow ADR - Australian Desgin Rules. parts still get manufactured, it's not just for the car as a complete.

if you replace a part with a non-ADR complient unit, you can be picked up on this and defected.

ALIII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I had done my research before putting them on ;)

Going to get a 3 way switch, 1 for day time and only 50% power at night. Currently only hooked up on a normal switch.

=D

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
They do look kind of cool.