Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

few electrical problems after loom conversion

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Maloo R8 #0422, Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
hey guys ive just done a complete vr calais body loom conversion into my vp calais. the reason for doin this is because im putting a complete vs statesman/caprice interior in. everything seems to work a treat except for a few things im hoping to be minor. all of these things worked fine before the conversion was started. ive replaced the the body loom and headlight looms
1. no climate control at all. no lights, nothing.
2. when i depress the brake pedal, half of the cluster turns on, the airbag light comes on, the gear shift light comes on, and the parkers come on awell as the brake lights.
3. when i flick the headlights on the airbag light comes on, only half the cluster turns on, low beam doesnt come on, eye level brake light comes on, the rear number plate lights dont come on aswell as the the other lights that are supposed to but high beam still works.
4. the temp guage doesnt work i still have the original vp engine loom and computer running but for some reason thermos dont come on, the temp light comes on and the guage doesnt work.

i think thats everything so far that i can remember any help with one or all of these things would be appreciated. the vr had the drivers side airbag and abs. the vp doesnt have any of these things. i havent chopped one wire and ive replaced every fuse and relay with new ones aswell as inspected the loom for nicks after passing it through the firewall. cheers

budwizer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
for climate im pretty sure a few of the wires are different..

3/4 -Just a thought did you change the cluster? because vn/vp clusters are actually wired up differently to the vr/vs ones.

ive done a fair few of these wiring loom comversions, including a vs body loom into my vn wagon but keeping engine trans/ computer etc. everything works a treat.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
i thought that might be the case thats y i changed the headlight case loom as well hoping that would fix it? i have changed the cluster i have the climate control loom so if i have to ill put that in isnt there only like 3 or 4 earth points? the ones i can think of are the main body earth just next to the fuse box in the engine bay, one on the tailight and one the alarm horn thats all i acn think of keep the ideas and help comin i appreciate it all cheers

budwizer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
It sounds to me that the brake light circuit and the parkers circuits have joined somewhere...
is it possible that a few of the wires were broken? as i know its from a written off vr calais? if so when you soldered them back together did u reverse them accidentally? theres a few wires that go to earth near the bottom of the radio frame.

also what i would do is have a look at the wires on the plugs on the engine loom, make sure the same colours are in there corresponding plug holes.. there should be three you need to check, one just above the ecu(connecting to the body loom) the other two in the engine bay just near the fuse box.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
also the reverse lights dont come on but im assuming that has something to with the trans control plug or something

budwizer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
you'l have to run a few wires from the auto. to connect in the reverse lights, speed sensor.

it may infact have the same plug. the plug mounting im pretty sure sits on the passenger side in halfway down the gearbox.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
you'l have to run a few wires from the auto. to connect in the reverse lights, speed sensor.

it may infact have the same plug. the plug mounting im pretty sure sits on the passenger side in halfway down the gearbox.

yea it does but which ones and to where? ie; colours to which colours located where? haha

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
obviously i wanna try and get these things goin the best i can before having to fork out alot of money for an auto elec im sure its just something ive missed but buggered if i know what it is