Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fairly dodgy questin, hack wiring of thermo fans

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
a guy i know is gonna help me with my timing, but i just realised i haven't hooked up the power on my thermo fans.

i want to do a temporary hack job of running them off the battery, with a simple switch and fuse in there. they're ef fans, anyone know how to tell what guage wire/switch/fuse i should use for something like this?

it'll be running stationary for ~20 minutes i figure, just don't want to cook then engine before i get to drive it.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
they pull over 30 amps with them both running so ide suggest a relay each and some good wire check the jaycar website there wire has amp specifications

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
cool, so if i use wire which is rated to over 30A, how would something like this go down.

88210920.jpg

wire the triggers in the relays in series, take power from the battery for both the fan power and the real trigger?
do i need a fuse in this, and where should it lie?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the fans have seperate wires for each ide go like my picture and the trigger wire run like you were but power to both trigger coils and a single wire to the stwitch

Attachments

• fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 811

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if its the vp the wiring is there for thermos just hook relays up to it and get the temps lowered in the tune by foam and away you go all automatic

cracker

Reaction score
get some cable the same size as what ever they run and just attach it too the battry it will be fine.
if its just a temp thing and dont care about switching, 2.5mm2 should be fine

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
if its the vp the wiring is there for thermos just hook relays up to it and get the temps lowered in the tune by foam and away you go all automatic

cool, i dug round and found what you mean. there's a 30A relay relay already in there with a fuse before and after it. the wire from it goes to a plug that used to run the v6 cooling fan (i tucked the wiring and forgot about it)
will this wire handle the 30A draw from the twin au fans? just concerned cos it seems pretty thin