Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

headlights stay on when the car is switched off and locked?

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
hey guys....

i'm sure this has happened to someone before, so i'll give it a go.

I'm driving a VT Calais SC. Last week my headlights started playing up. After my morning drive to work, i jumped out of the car, locked it, only to find that my lights were still on. i had to disconnect the negative to save my battery from going flat. i thought it may have been a faulty headlight switch....

then today i noticed after jumping in the car tonight after work (when it was dark) that my headlights went back to normal. after starting the car, i had full use of my headlights again.....turned off at the switch and my headlights turned off.

Is it possible that my car is not recognising the daylight and is somehow trying to override the headlight switch? or is it my switch itself? i'm also told it could be the BCM that's gone....

Any help would be great. Thanks

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
so their turning themselfs on automatically yea?

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
yes mate. normally in the morning....they tend to go back to normal at night.

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I had a similiar problem, it was one of the door switches. The auto headlight on/off feature doesnt work if a door is left open

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
same here. check if your headunit is still running also. i had to pull my switch out and i found that when i ran the cable for the sub, it had pulled the wire tight and stopped it making contact. easy diagnosis, next time just grab it and wriggle it arround and see if they turn off.