Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extending Engine Harness / Noticable Voltgage Drop??!

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hey all,
As the thread name suggests, I'm thinking, to keep a clean engine bay I want to extend the engine wiring harness about 400-600mm (maybe not even that long?) to run it inside the inner guard and have it pop out just above the chassis rail, either near the A/C compressor - or under the passenger side brake line. (whichever is most hidden)

So, basically what I'm after is some opinions (or facts) of some of the people on here.

Is there likely to be a noticable Voltage Drop/increased resistance - inturn stuffing up the various sensors and other electrical bits...

I know its probly a really straight forward / stupid question, but I thought I'd feel even stupider if I didn't ask, and learnt the hard way later on down the track :rofl2:

IMO there shouldn't be much of a Voltage Drop/increased resistance etc..
As long as its good wire, correct size etc, and clean solder joints.
It'l all be heatshrinked, stagered joints, all wrapped up in the crinkle protective stuff so you couldn't tell its been hacked at!

So, whats everyones opinions?

NO don't do it, the electrical systems work with such fine tolorences, that even that small change could throw out you sensors/electrical components...
or
Keep it (the extension) as short as possible, should be right though...
or
The amount of voltage drop you would get over that small distance will be minimal (.001v) Go for it...

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
i dont think you should have any problems, there is plenty of other people who have done it so i think you should be alright.