Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec in boat Tacho question

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Bit of help please I know there are 45 million tacho questions out there

In the below thread I have fitted an Ecotec into a boat, some may have already seen the thread
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general/125013-ecotec-motor-going-into-boat.html

Trying to run the original Mercruiser Tacho and have connected it to the brown wire that normally sits inside the mudguard when the motor is in a car.

However I can't make it work the Mercruiser tacho in the boat.
The Tacho is configured the same as any none genuine tacho you find in shops

The brown wire is good all the way back to the DFI module. In the genuine GM manual it says that this wire is for I/P tacho's (I guess I/P stands for independent or something).

Now I am curious will this wire run a standard aftermarket Tacho?
When I put the same motor in the Hilux I used an adapter to convert the signal but this may have just been to run a 4cyl Toyota tacho can't remember.

I would like to run the Mercruiser tacho if I can especially since I just made up a new dash panel for it to fit in.
If I have to replace this Tacho then I will need to make another new dash Grrrr.

Also another concern is that the motor will run with the oil pressure switch disconnected, I assumed that since the fuel pump runs through the oil pressure switch that the motor should not run while it disconnected? I have double checked the relays and wiring etc and all is good

Have also checked our stock VR and also the Ute and they both also run when disconnected so now I’m a little confused as I thought the oil pressure switch was a fail safe to cut the fuel pump.

Cheers Andy

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Just to add that the tacho can be switched between 4, 6 and 8 cylinders and is set on 6

Cheers Andy

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
need to see if you have got pulse at the tacho. led test light or similar to check.

as for the oil pressure switch, it works the other way around, if the fuel pump relay fails, once the oil system comes up to pressure, the switch will close, and allow power to the pump.