Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter keeps clicking over when ignition off in a VK

bang_chong

hmm new project
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Executive
Hi guys I got myself a Carbied 202 powered VK. Well I put a second hand battery in it and after a week I went to start it and when i turned the ignition off the starter motor kept trying to start so to stop it I had to take the ground off the battery. I bought another 2nd hand battery and it was fine. It was fine for about 4 weekends after that when I worked on it but when I left it for 3weeks it had the same problem. Has anyone had this problem or know what might be wrong? Im just afraid to buy a brand new battery and for it to do this problem again.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
sounds like solenoid contacts jamming, rip'em out, overhaul solenoid.

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
I've fixed this problem once before on a VK. This may not be the same as your problem, but might help anyway.
Several hours of electrical measuring and starter motor R and R, and it turned out to be the teeth on the ring gear had a sharp burr on each tooth and was holding onto the starter motor pinion gear. The starter motor wouldn't stop because the solenoid was being held shut, even though the ignition key was off.

Gearbox out and ring gear replacement and the problem was fixed. I'd never seen it in the past, or again since.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Make sure that the cable from the battery to the starter motor isn't shorting anywhere, particularly between the connection to the starter motor and the starter motor body.