Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Footwell Neon / Leds

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
SOLD - VX, Now have MY14 CRUZE
Hey guys, Considering buying either green or orange leds to go in the footwells of my VX, I want it to be quite clean, If possible unable to see or notice Anything at all unless it's night time, I don't want ANY wiring at all to be seen, But the problem is It looks like a lot of them fit into the 12v cig lighter thing... Eww!, That means You'd see wires right up in your face in the dash....

Is there any other way to hook these up to power on / off either by remote or just when the engine starts or stops? And what's the best way to mount them so you don't see anything / much?

And Can i buy anything half decent at autobarn? Our new store seems to have a lot of that stuff it seems

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VY SS
you can just cut the cig plug off and hard wire it, just depends on how you want the lights to come on. easiest option would to get power from behind the cig plug and mount a switch out of place somewhere.

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I don't really even need a switch, for them to come on and off When the engine is on or off is good enough, E.G. I start the car and drive, they come on, I take the ignition out and stop my car and lock the car and the neons go off... That's pretty much how I want it, I don't want to have after market switches etc etc unless they're ones that I can hook up to my key chain.

If possible I don't REALLY feel like cutting crap off my car if that's bypassable then for me that's better.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VY SS
then the best way is prob just go straight to behind the cig plug so they come on when you turn your accessories on. also im not 100% sure but there might be a plug somewhere in the front of your car that is used to power phone kits which should have an accessory power feed and earth

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
If i use accessories doesn't that mean when the doors are shut and the cars started they will be off? Isn't accessories like the middle dome light? that goes off unless you manually switch it on?

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Oooh okay nice.... Whats the easiest best way too wire up the 2 front footwells from leds I buy? I'm expecting them to come with the stupid 12v smoke adapter thing for the cig lighter. Just rip it off and some how connect too accessories? where would that be located? Sorry about being a retard. :) But the more I ask the more I learn and can help others in the future! Have to start somewhere I Guess!

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VY SS
should be pretty simple to mount the lights but you will need to get the wiring to behind the cig plug, you just have to have a look around yourself to see how to route the wires. if you dont use the cig plug for charging your phone or anything you could unplug the cig plug wires and use some crinp terminals on the ends of the led wiring which can be put into the cig plugs existing wiring plug. I dont own a vt/vx so im not too sure how easy it is to access the back of the plug

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thanks for your help mate, I'll do some research about it.

P.S. Love your car man, I miss my old VR, Love your wheels to!

If anyone else owns a VT/VX and has done something similar mind giving me info on how you did it? :)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Behind the cig lighter socket there is a wire going to the light that illuminates the socket, join the positive wire of the LEDS to that wire and the negative wire to any metal part of the body or the negative wire of the lighter socket. That way the LEDS will turn on when you turn your lights on, not much point in having them on in the day anyway.