Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine FAN Relay Melts, Help needed....

frontier

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VY 2004 SS
Hi Guys,

im from kuwait, i have Commodore VY SS 2004 8Cyl ( called chevrolet Lumina SS). as mentioned in title, engine fan relay 1 gets too hot when fans run at engine temperature and often one leg of relay melts and stop working which has also melted the female connector on the relay panel.this makes engine temp to rise.i have to often change that relay to avoid temperature.
i would like to mention that i changed thermostat, temp sensor and all the hose pipes. all fuse checked and there is no problem other than this. i suspected fan motors but they seems working fiine. i have added pictures.i took it to local dealers but they were unable the tell what exactly makes that.
please if any one has experienced such problem or know what and where the problem exactly is.....

this is my second Post in this forum in electric section..im not using my car since facing this problem so im little desperate to get this problem fixed soon...help needed please

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
need to replace the connector in the relay base, and new battery.

if you keep putting in new relays, there will be a bad connection, which causes heat, which mets the pin on the relay

frontier

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VY 2004 SS
yea but relay base is not the problem. the battery is just been replaced.. i need to know what causes it heating to begin melt..!!! is it any of fans motor or what ...i dont know.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
get someone to test how much current the fans are drawing as you could have a faulty fan motor or something. and you will definately need to replace melted pins in the fuse box because if they are damaged and dont get a good connection with the relay you will get current that arcs across the pins which creates heat and melts everything around it.

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
need to replace the connector in the relay base

Please read what was said carefully! My first thought was resistance in the plug. Resistance = heat!

The fuse should melt before those things in the pictures, but if you got a bad crimp, then you got heat!

The connector on the wire under the base where the relay plugs into is getting hot. This is from resistance where the wire is crimped to the connector that the relay leg plugs into. You have a red ovel around it in your first two pictures above!

You need to get the wires out and replace the burnt wire, as it is probably now stuffed too. Keep stripping the wire out of the loom till you get to shiny copper stuff, then that's where you replace it to, with a new connector at the other end for the rely. Also use a new relay, as the burnt leg will cause more issues!