Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Light Dim - WH

COOKIE-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE GEN3
Have been having trouble with battery going flat, Got new battery and was fine for 3 days.
Then the Battery light came on (dim) and got got brighter as I reved the engine, Disconnected the battery while the engine was running and it died. Normally if the altenator was OK it would keep running.

So I go a new altenator, and after 4 hours of fitting started the car and now the Battery light is still on but only very dim and it doesn't get brighter or go out when I rev the engine. I disconnected the Battery again while the engine was running and it died (just like before).

Any ideas please.

And is the voltage regulator inside the GEN3 altenator, not screwed to the back as in older altenators?

COOKIE-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE GEN3
Yes, can't really see corrosion but at the end where it connects to the alternator the main positive wire has frayed a little and the outside plastic covering is very brittle.

Today I have gone back over everything to make sure all connections are OK and Sanded back the battery terminals etc..It made no difference, the battery light is still on (DIM) the thing is the car rev's and drives fantastic, till the battery has no charge left then all the dash ligths go berserk and a clicking noise fromm next to the drivers seat (on the outside).

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
I think your battery is stuffed , internal fault.

COOKIE-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH CAPRICE GEN3
Thanks for your tips, I just had an auto elec look at it and the new alternator (voltage Regulator) was stuffed, $160.00 later all fixed.