Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problems with Instrument Lighting in VP SS

gravybones2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS V8 5.0L Auto
Hi Guys

First off Im only new here and unsure were to go so im posting this post here and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

My VP had some issues with the RH Side Light switch from normal ware and tear, so naturally i look on eBay and found a new one with the cruse control functions included on this as well, SCORED !!!

However when i turn on the lights of a night time the: Headlights are on, the transmission lights are on, everything else works lovely except the main cluster were the Speedo and Taco are located.

THIS IS NOT LIT UP AND VERY HARD TO DRIVE AT NIGHT.

Have taken to an auto sparky to confirm everything else is still working accordingly and are mind boggled why tis could be the case.

Then it occurred to me that the original RH switch i believe had the dimmer function installed on it.

NOW THE CAR DOESN'T HAVE ONE.... DUH

So I ASK... If I find/Install a LH Switch that would have the dimmer control could this solve the problem and will i get my lights back or would it be a simpler solution and just find a light that is illuminating and some how piggy back off it and connect it to the place where it is not immulinating and would that also solve the problem, or can you offer a suggestion to try and fix this problem

I await your kind guidance.

cheers graybones2002

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
If your RH switch had a slider control dimmer - you will need to replace the switch with the same - or pull the parts out of the new switch to fix the broken part of the old switch.