Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cruise control not working after upgrading my level 2 dash to level 3

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Hi. I posted this thread in the electronic section and someone suggested I talk to you guys about this one.

I have cruise control on my car, it a factory unit rigged up to my 5ltr. I have a T5 manual gearbox so it has an actuator on the clutch peddal to disengage when pushing the clutch in. Anyhow, the thing works fine with my level 2 dash cluster, but as soon as I put in my new level 3 cluster (I have the trip computer all wired in too) it will not activate. I can switch the cruise control unit on, as the crs light comes on, but it will not engage. When I press the set button, the on light briefly flashes up but wont stay on and the cruise wont engage. I have reswapped the clusters in and out to confirm it is the issue and it definately seems just to not want to work with the L3 cluster!

I'm a bit stumped. I checked the wiring diagrams and the green wire which comes from the dash with vehicle speed data is supposed to also make the spped alert work. The weird thing is the speed alert does work on the L3 dash and if the cruise control speed is taken off the same wire why does it not work? And i guess the wiring to the cruise control module works because the whole thing is fine with the L2 dash!

Any help is much apreciated.
Peter

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Check the voltage regulator is in good nic (no cracked solde joints) and plugged in correctly at the top of the L3 cluster.

I had this issue a while back and it was the pin No 1 was bent over to the side and missed the connector slot. (so pin was not plugged in)

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
oh ok, maybe I've got a similar issue. Where abouts is the voltage regulator located? I traced back the green wire which sends the speed signal to the cruise control and it goes back to the board in behid the LCD screens and it all appeared ok. I also checked the connection coming out of the cluster, the green speed signal wire is located at connector 2 at the back of the dash, and it all seemed ok. On the wiring diagram it shows that this wire also triggers the speed alert and the speed aleart is working, so it makes it even more confusing! But if you can describe where the voltage reg is that would be great. So basically, the cruise should work when swapping over from a level 2 dash to level 3 and there is most likely something wrong with my cluster?

Cheers

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
cool chears for that I'll have a look. How do you get to it, do you take off the the needles and then use a little screw driver to take the covers with the numbers of the dials off?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
No take the lens off and undo the 6 nuts from the back of the cluster to remove the speedo and tacho.

Also check over all of the tracks on the rear of the cluster - take note of the tracks that light up the crs on warning lamp.

Also if you have a VN or VPO trip computer in the cluster the cruise wont work either. The low fuel and cruise are mapped opposite between the VN/VP and VR/VS - so when you have low fuel the speed light will flash. Can you set the over speed?

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Yep overspeed works fine, and the low fuel works also. I tried connecting my old speed alert to the L3 cluster to see if it could get speed data, but it wouldnt work, so it makes me thinks somethings deffinately wrong with the green wire coming off connector 2, which is the speed sensor wire coming back out of the dash after it goes through the speedo.

I pulled out the voltage regulator and also solders look fine and it is in good condition. The only thing i can think to do is the use some contact cleaner on the connectors intothe voltage reg and trip computer and see if it fixes it.

Next thing i will do is meter the green wire to see if it sends out a different signal to the L2 clutster.

Could it be that a low series cruise control unit doesnt work with a L3 dash, or have people had no issues in the past?

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
The voltage regulator is behind the tacho/speedo iside the cluster and looks like this ---> http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ure88066-voltage-reg-pin-number-1-cracks.html

Hi Mate, that transistor with the 3 yellow arrows pointing too it, is that the transistor that is in the wiring diagram going between the input signal from the speed sensor and the output to the cruise control? If so i think it might be stuffed in mine and thats why i am not getting a speed signal for my cruise control!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
The cruise should work with both L2 and L3 clusters as the wires are in the dash loom for the Executive already.

It has to be something to do wit hthe trip computer itself or the PCB on the back of the cluster. A broken track or something like it. Have you inspected the L3 PCB real close?

The trip computer can also have a blown resistor thingo on the trip PCB also. If you pull the trip computer out and flip the LSD's over (3 screws) and have a look to see if anything is blown. I've only seen 2 out of hundreds. So not common - but possible.

The bit on the regulator controls the fuel/temp gauges - but I guess in looking at the voltage regulator - you are also looking for a blown resister thing. If it all looks in good nic it may well be the trip computer itself or the cluster PCB on the back.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
bummer, sounds like i might just have to buy another dash if i cant find it. Cheers for all your help