Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring able to handly 100/90W light bulbs?

belu_gb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 3.8
Hi all,

I am new into this.
I am trying to change my headlight globes for VX S2 Acclaim 2001 which are 60/55W to 100/90W or 130/90W. Can you tell me if the current wiring will be able to support that change?
I haven't changed anything, so all the wiring is all standard at the moment.

Thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I don't know if the wiring can handle it but there is a good chance the plastic lens and casing won't handle the extra heat and may cause distortion. I would stick to the recommended wattage but buy good quality globes. Here's a link to some:Narva

belu_gb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 3.8
Will it matter even if the voltage is still 12v for 100/90W or 130/100W globes ?
I have look at Narva and they have high wattage globes but the voltage is still 12v for them.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
The wattage is where the heat comes from, so higher wattage = more heat, lower wattage = less heat
I had some 130/100 watts in an 80s car which had glass headlights and that was ok, but the plastic headlights on the vx might melt. And the wiring might not be able to handle it.

I have some Osram blue xenon type 65/55 watt globes in my vx and the high beam is awesome!

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
DONT DONT DONT DONT, needed to replace my fuse box after putting higher wattage globes in, totally ****S the box, it melts, and roots your headlight mirrors,

belu_gb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 3.8
The main reason to change to higher wattage globes is this that there is not enough light sometimes i think i havent turned on the lights.
Which ones will be good to have if use standard ?

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
just take the lense off your lights, clean the mirros, adjustyour headlights a bit more upwards, should have plent of light

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Also I'm pretty sure its illegal to fit higher wattage bulbs.

If the headlights are so dim that you can barely tell when they are on then you have a problem, remedy the problem and it will be fine.

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
To answer your question about the wiring handling the power, I have done the calculation.

(Assuming 14V battery charge rate)
60W globe will draw 4.29A of current.
100W globe will draw 7.14A of current.
130W globe will draw 9.29A of current.

Add 50% buffer to handle start-up surge, and the 100W globe blows out to 10.71A. The 130W globe is not suitable.

Standard commodore fuse is rated at 10A to protect the wiring.
100W might work, but it will most probably blow fuses (or melt wires and catch fire if you are unlucky). As others have said, the plastic headlights probably won't handle the extra heat generated.

smasha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
headlights 90/100watt

Hello all. I have a vz commodore with 90/100 watt headlights and never ever had a problem in 18 months I have owned the car. Just dont use auto headlight and she'll be right. Even my vr commodore I had for 9 years had them in it and best thing ever. Only blow light 2 times in 250,000kms.