Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr ss cig lighter issue

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hi Guys,

have just read a million post relating to faulty cig lighters but none that relates to mine.

The cig lighter / socket was working when i got the car.

I have removed the radio, aircon and basically the entire dash and centre console excluding the Speedo etc. When i plugged the cig lighter in whilst all the above components were removed, it would not work. I have checked the fuse, it was blown so i replaced it.

Still no joy, checked every fuse, got another cigarette lighter socket from wreckers and still no luck. Both lighters are in good condition, plugs and connections look good etc.

Is it possible that the cig lighter isnt working because half of the dash is not connected? If not, what else could be the issue?

Cheers for your help guys

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Last BUMP! Surely someone on this site has had a similar issue!
Can something other than a fuse blow if u short the wires?

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Is it possible to short the lighter outlet by spinning the metal surround that surrounds the lighter??

jag1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
maby just try getting another lighter... i got one for my vr cause i accidentally pulled the wires out.

wreckers gave it to me for free as well

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Tried that as well, 3 different lighters! Tried heaps of different fuses, wiring must be shagged somewhere....

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Have you checked using a voltmeter?

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
Had the same problem in my VR, turned out that i blew or snapped a wire connecting to the lighter port, so had nothing to do with any fuses or the lighter it self. Possibly the same thing happened when you were taking everything else out?
If the dash is still out try to follow the wires along to see if you can see anything.
Granted though i have no clue how i did this as i was (and im sure you were too) very careful when removing dash and other wires, either way i hope this helps at all.

Ice101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
As Mooseman said, try getting your hands on a multimeter and doing voltage checks on your cigarette lighter connections. You should have three wires going to your socket - an earth wire, accessory +12VDC wire and lighting +12VDC wire.

First thing to do is check that your earth wire is good. Leave the car turned off and carry out a resistance check between your wires and a bare metal spot on the car - Your resistance reading for ONE of the wires should be less than 1 ohm.

Next set your multimeter up to check for DC voltage and turn your ignition on till your dash board lights up. Check your remaining two wires for +12VDC, one of them should have between 11.5 and 12VDC on it.

The last remaining wire should be your lighting wire, to test this turn on your cars lights and do the same voltage check on your last remaining wire and look for 11.5 to 12VDC again.

If you have no +12VDC on those lines you need to figure out why there is no power getting there.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The cig lighter circuit is a very simple circuit 12v ign feed on brown/yellow wire and earth on black wire...other wire brown/white is for the light on the lighter Because its a easy source of power plenty of people use it for feeding other things...neons,other lights etc...if it is blowing fuses without any lighter connected something forward of the circuit is shorted or insulation stripped somewhere touching metal somewhere. However other electrical parts in the car are fed from the same fuse . stupid question ...hope you know that you need the key turned to on for 12v to be present

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Cheers for all the advice guys, will get hands on a voltmeter and see how i go. Wiring and electrical must be the biggest pain in A$$ things on the car.