Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please Help! Dash Lights and Tail Lights Failure...

dico

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Hey All,

I own a 97 VS Wagon Executive 3.8, this car is my daily driver and I am quite dependent upon it to get me too and from work. So far has been a glorious vehicle to own as it has offered much help when moving home, however...

A few days ago whilst I was driving, I noticed that my dash lights had died, along with the lighting for my gear selector, trip computer and other knobs and accessories for the car. I noticed also that my tail lights stopped working as well.

I checked my fuses, and sure enough fuse number one was blown, a 20A fuse that controls park lights, power antenna and trip computer. This new 20A fuse lasted about one day before it blew again... The next fuse that I put in lasted about 2 seconds before it blew. I knew something was up and that there must have been a short somewhere so I began disconnecting accessories from the car to try and determine what was causing the problem. I have disconnected:

~ Cigarette Lighter
~ CD Player and Stacker
~ Instrument Cluster
~ Glovebox Light
~ Map Reading Light
~ Heater Controls
~ All Switches and Knobs on Dash
~ Rear De-Mister
~ AC Switch
~ Gear Selector Bulb
~ Tail Lights
~ Head Lights
~ Park Lights

After disconnecting all of these accessories, the 20A fuse still blows after 2 seconds of turning the light switch to "P" which I think stands for Park Lights. My reverse lights, head lights, high beam and brake lights all still work correctly.

I have spent hours and hours trying to pin point the problem, looking for loose wires and trying to isolate accessories to determine the issue. But I have had no success and it is really starting to test my patience as the cars interior is now in what seems 100 pieces and counting, with still no problems resolved. I thought it may have been the "power antenna" but after looking found out that its a manual antenna anyway.

Like I said the problem occurs when the light switch is turned to the "P" position, and then a nasty little cracking sound emanates from the fuse box as another one of my 20A fuses dies... I know its not the light switch itself that is shorting out because I have used another method to turn the lights on, without the use of the switch itself.

I know it must be something small and something so ridiculous, but its so time consuming and painfully tedious. Could someone please shed some light on the situation for me? I would greatly appreciate any help, in any way, shape or form.