Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adding secon earth to battery

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
hey guy m thinking of addig a second earth to my battery as im having a few start isus and want to cover everythign basically so is having a secon earth bd and where would be th best place to run it

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Good idea. A good earth circuit between battery, body and engine is a certain way to minimise problems.

It doesn't matter where you connect them to these components, just make sure the cable is fat enough to handle the expected current, the terminals are crimped/soldered well, and that earth points are clean bright metal to metal.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
It's a fantastic idea, and one of the first things that anyone will do to their car when they want to start getting the best out of it. As moose man said, get a fat wire, (4g or bigger), and run that from the negative of your battery to a big fat bolt that connects to your chassis. Drill a new hole if needed. I would suggest finding something as close to the battery as possible, but I don't think is matters a great deal if it's on the other side of the engine bay.
Sand back the paint so that you reveal the metal, and you will be in business.
And to re-iterate, make sure you find a bolt that is connected directly to the chassis, if you connect to a bit of metal that is welded to the chassis, then you are pinning your hopes on that weld being 100% solid and conductive, which sometimes might not be the case, so direct to chassis is the desired connection point.

Denno