Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do I wire up driving lights on vx commodor

tretz7

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Can anyone tell me, or does anyone have a diagram on how to wire up driving lights on a vx commodor? I have a 2001 VX executive that I have put a full genuine ss body kit on including genuine ss fog lights. (a bit try hard i know but i love the look of the vx ss and couldnt afford the real one so this was the next best option). I know alot of people just wire them into their high beam so that the go on and off with there high beam but Im trying to keep it as original as possible, so I have purchased an original driving light button to go in the dash and would like to hook them in the same way they are in the ss. So can anyone tell me or does anyone have a diagram on how to wire them in? And also can anyone advise me of the location of the switch on the dash in the ss and if the correct loom and plugs are already there or if i have to by another one to hook them in.

thanks

Tretz7

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
I have a sneaky suspicion that the wiring is already all there for the driving lights.. At the front of the car have a look for two wires on both sides of the car, I think they're for driving lights. The same behind the dash, the wires for the switch are already there.. I haven't done this myself, however I have seen the wires there in my car (01 VX Lumina), and I think that's what they're for.

Otherwise you will just be running new wires, which will be easy enough. It's very basic to wire up, running the wires through the engine bay nicely and hiding them (if desired), will be the trickiest part.
If you need to run a new wire, I'd also add a relay in, so that there isn't too much current running through the switch. To work out how to use relays, check this website out: Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT), Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) Automotive Relays.

I think you should be able to work out what you need to do now. I didn't wanna tell you exactly how to do it, because you will learn much better if you search for yourself :). I did give you a pretty informative link though lol, enjoy :).

Denno

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Just remember to keep in mind, In NSW it is illegal not to have any headlights/driving lights not hooked up to the main dimmer function. I would take a guess that this would be the same in Victoria.

Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007 - Schedule 2
92 Changing headlights from high-beam to low-beam position
(3) When a headlight fitted to a vehicle is switched to the low-beam position, any other headlight on the vehicle must operate only in the low-beam position or be off.

tretz7

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Great thanks for that teno45 i didnt know about that regulation, i will be cautios of that when i get some time to wire them in. Thanks also to Denno i havent had a chance to try it out as yet but i did manage to locate the plugs behind the bumber and track the wires back to the loom so as it turns out its all there just need to wire up the button and track down a relay for it.

Will let you know how i go.

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Victorian legislation - Page 291.
83 Changing headlights from high-beam to low-beam
position
(3) When a headlight fitted to a vehicle is switched to the low-beam position, any other headlight on the vehicle must operate only in the low-beam position or be off.
Pretty much word for word for the NSW regluations...

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Err... I don't get how this regulation is releant in this instance.

Driving lights don't have hi beam and low beam.

In stock form, the foglights can operate while the cars headlights are either in park, low beam and high beam.

To the OP,

If the wires are all there then it's are really easy job. Basically all plug and play.

The trickiest bit is cutting the hole in the fascia for the switch, then there is a blue plug behind there that should be tapped up in that grey foam stuff.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Err... I don't get how this regulation is releant in this instance.

Driving lights don't have hi beam and low beam.

In stock form, the foglights can operate while the cars headlights are either in park, low beam and high beam.

When a headlight (original cars headlights) fitted to a vehicle is switched to the low-beam position, any other headlights (driving lights) on the vehicle must operate only in the low-beam position or be off.

That means, for the case of driving lights, when the leadlights are in low beam, the driving lights must be off.

Ill find something on fog lights later on, but I know they have a max power rating.

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Ill find something on fog lights later on, but I know they have a max power rating.
Appologies, I was mistaken. "Day Time running lights" have a max power rating, as do rear fog lights, but not front fog lights.

From the same document:
Division 12—Fog lights
105 Front fog lights
(5) A front fog light must—
(a) when on—
(ii) be a low-beam light; and
(b) be able to be operated independently of any
headlight;

Where it mentions "be a low-beam light",that gives them restrictions on how the lights can be aligned/adjusted. It also covers that it doesnt have to be part of the dimmer function.
91 Effective range of headlights

(1) This clause applies to a headlight that is on at night.

(2) A low-beam headlight must illuminate the road ahead of the vehicle for at least 25 metres.
84 Prevention of glare

A light, except a high-beam headlight, fitted to a vehicle must be built and adjusted to provide the necessary amount of light without dazzling the driver of another vehicle approaching, or being approached by, the vehicle.

for additional info (from the dictoinary in the same document):
low-beam, in relation to a headlight or front fog light fitted to a vehicle, means that the light is built or adjusted so that, when the vehicle is standing on level ground, the top of the main beam of light projected is:

(a) not higher than the centre of the headlight or fog light, when measured at a point 8 metres in front of the vehicle, and

(b) not more than one metre higher than the level on which the vehicle is standing, when measured at a point 25 metres in front of the vehicle.

In my opinion, This explains WHY the fog lights do not need to be part of the dimmer function.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
That means, for the case of driving lights, when the leadlights are in low beam, the driving lights must be off.

Interesting, but in terms of the OP's situation, this is not relevant since he's installing as per manufacturer spec.

I think this regulation is more in reference to the driving lights that people put on 4wd's etc as they are mega bright.

I think the important thing to note, is that there is a difference between driving lights and foglights. And depending what youa re installing you need to adhere to the relevant laws.

teno45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Interesting, but in terms of the OP's situation, this is not relevant since he's installing as per manufacturer spec.

I think this regulation is more in reference to the driving lights that people put on 4wd's etc as they are mega bright.

I think the important thing to note, is that there is a difference between driving lights and foglights. And depending what youa re installing you need to adhere to the relevant laws.

When I originally posted the first reference, It had not been confirmed yet if the OP could install his lights using original wiring or if he would have to run new wires himself. Hence the reason why I posted what I did.

Whilst it may be aimed at guys in 4wd with dinner plate sized driving lights that would stun a roo at 2km's... It still applicable to everyone, no matter what your driving.

I just re-read the OP, and realised I misunderstood which type of lights the OP was installing, with reference to "genuine SS fog lights" and "driving light switch". But this then makes another reference applicable:
be able to operate independantly of any headlight.

Whilst this doesnt say must be totally indepentant, just able to operate independant... I guess its up to your own interpretation and what your willing to risk getting away with.