Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No backing lights on Level 3 cluster

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
hey all..

i have just converted my standard Level 2 VR dash and cluster to a Level 3 statesman dash and cluster last about 3 weeks ago, and im havin troubles with why the backing lights dont work when i turn the headlight switch on!??

i have changed the wiring from the staesman, dash, and cluster, along with all the associated buttons, and switches, but the backing lights in the cluster wont work.. the safety lights, [fuel, battery, engine, etc etc] all work, but not the backing lights..
i have tried 3 V6 clusters, and all 3 dont have the lights working..
when i turn the headlight switch on, the lcd display goes dull, and no lights..:(.??? but when headlights are off, lcd is bright as hell..:)

can anyone help me here, as i have a roadworthy tomorrow, and i really wanna have it all working in time for C4C in 2 weeks..

thanks..mark

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
does anyone here know what the problem is??

i need to know asap otherwise im changing it back to standard VR spec dash..:(

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The Statesman loom is not the correct loom to use. It has a different lights set up. You will need to get the L2 loom and splice the 2 plugs needed to run the L3 cluster.

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
hmmm ok..
that just seems weird. my mate has done the same thing to his vs, used the staesman wiring, and it worked well for him..

ill give it another go with splicing the wires.
cheers greenvn

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Its because they use different bcms low for exect and high for stato.....dash light dimming wont work....air con is different ....rear demister wont work....backing lights on the dash?...do you mean the dash illumination lights?

VNwithFE2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
Check level 3 upgrade conversion and theres a wire u need to change then it will work

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Theres a length of resistance wire run in the dash loom on a l2 that acts as the voltage drop to dim the dash lights when selected from the headlight switch but on a stato it uses a high series bcm...... it doesnt use resistance wire but uses electronics inside the bcm to do the same job.