Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan bypass switch

smith#29

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs II exec

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
A VS works very similarly to VT with the BCM switching the low speed windings and the PCM the high speed. Try pin F6 at thed PCM, as per about half way down on page 1 of the How To. That will switch both windings = high speed.

If you only want low speed, you will have to figure out which pin it is on the BCM. In the absence of a wiring diagram, I would look for the wire colours at the fan relay under the bonnet and confirm by observing the voltage drop (D Volt meter), backprobing between the putative terminal and earth, as the low speed fan switches on. (Use the A/C switch to trigger the fan switching.)

smith#29

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs II exec
ok, so i tried earthing out pin f6 which is a blue/with white stripe and the fans didnt come on at all. so what am i doing wrong?

is that all that needs to be done, as in earth out that wire and they should work?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
With the ignition on?

Yes, that should be all that is required.

smith#29

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs II exec
yes, with the ignition on, that should be the high speed fan but nothing goes. the fan comes on when the a/c is turned on so i know they are working.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Is there a five pin relay in the socket for the low fan speed?

Is the (high speed) relay "clicking" with the earth?

It is F6:

http://www.memcals.com/pdf/VSV6 Auto Wiring Diagram.pdf

You should be able to see that it is B3 or B14 (depending on BCM level) for the low speed if you want to try that instead.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Is there a five pin relay in the socket for the low fan speed?

Is the (high speed) relay "clicking" with the earth?

It is F6:

http://www.memcals.com/pdf/VSV6 Auto Wiring Diagram.pdf

You should be able to see that it is B3 or B14 (depending on BCM level) for the low speed if you want to try that instead.

I think there is a mistake in this diagram: it shows the fan connected to the coil of one relay, and the relay contacts connecting the fusible link to earth.

David Commode Door

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore wagon V6 with VR motor
I've followed the published directions as well. Connected the blue/white wire to a switch with led and earthed to the body near the firewall.

The led in the switch comes on so there is power (and presumably earth) but the fan does not come on.

Ideas?