Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v8 to vn v6 help

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi all, i am doing the above conversion.
i have most of it done. I am assuming the motor came from a vr as it has vr written on it in texta an the loom has the electronic box in it. The body i am putting it in is a 11/89 model vn(i think series 1).

I have wired the two plugs in the pic together by colour matching the wires.
There are two wires that arent the same colour.
On the engine harness they are pink withe blue trace and a red wire.
On the body harness they are orange with red trace and orange.
The two wires in the body harness both have power.
Do i just put the two wires with trace together and the two solid colours together?

I have no injector pulse, there is no power at them so i am assuming that these wires supply the power to the injectors.
benvt010.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Cheers Shane.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
just had another thought- if the motor loom and ecu came from a vr/vs it will probably still have the vats enabled.

can i get a vn ecu and put in it to do away with the need for a bcm?
or would it be easier to have the vats disabled?

How can i check what ecu i have? Is there a list of what ecu part numbers match which cars?

Cheers Shane

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
had another thought today but am unsure if the vn came out with a non electronic box in the v8 i will have to use the vr comp and get the vats disabled unless it is cheaper or easier to set up a bcm. i have a vs bcm with remote, just unsure how easy it would be to wire it in to make it work.
The part number on the ecu is 16221468 it says 5ltr auto pcm. Can anyone id what it belongs to?

Cheers Shane

Last edited:

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
today i thought i would check for spark. there was none. tested the coil wire and there was no power. noticed the coil wire is red(early models was yellow so thought it should be yellow) realised that one of the wires i didnt no was red so i just hooked up the orange to the red and the orange with trace to the other wire. then i sprayed some wd down the t/b and it fired.
now i have to get the vats disabled in the pcm to get injector pulse.
does anyone know how much that should cost? am not worried about a better tune but if it wont cost any extra i may get it done as well.
I just had a look on ebay at this NEW Holden Commodore VN-VP V8 ecu MEMCAL Performance has anyone delt with them?
I think something like that would suit because this car will never be on road its a fun paddock car.

Cheers Shane