Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car keeps blowing Radio Fuse

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hey Guys,

Was going over to my mates place today when all of a sudden my stereo just dropped out. Turned out to be a blown fuse so i put in another one and it keeps on blowing the fuse for my Stereo. Have checked the earth and power cables, non are touching. Any suggestion right now would be great.

Cheers

Mumbo

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
You'll have to pull the radio out and test bench it to see if the unit it's self is dead. If it passes then move onto replacing the fuse with the radio out to see it it holds. Don't forget about your power ant (if installed) Don't even think about sticking in a high amp fuse to see if "it'll be right" as you can end up with a metal shell all ready for the scrap yard. Sadly there's no easy fix so to speak, It's a process of illumination I'm afraid.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Thanks for that, how do I test bench? Do i just take it out and hook it directly upto a Car Battery? I'm going to go get a Multimeter tomorrow to check for Consistency through the Stereo and also Cig Lighter as the fuse powers both of them. I have a Power Annt but this powered by a separate switch.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
UPDATE:

Just went out and disconnected the ground and the it still blew the fuse.... Guess the only way to tell if its stuffed is take it out tomorrow and do the Bench Test.... God i hope its not Stuffed :(

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Don't forget to use a fused feed to the radio when testing on your bench! It's looking more than likely you're loom is affected.. Oh make sure you have your radio code as well. ;)