Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash conversion (expert advice needed)

holdenhero

Car idiot
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
Hey

First of all I'd like to state that I'm no auto electrician, just some bloke with crazy ideas, big aims and a bit of common sence.

Basically, I want to fit a VY dash (including steering wheel) into a VT Commodore S-pack [began it's journey as the supercharged model] (both sedans).

I have heard from auto dismantlers and my local Holden dealer that the mounting brackets behind the crash pad is identical so the mounting is just a simple bolt up (yes, I'm using that word simple very loosely).

My problem lays on the electrical side of things. Now I know it can be done so don't bother with stupid replies like that, and surely there has to be a simpler way than rewiring the entire car. I was wondering, if the old cluster was left attached and hidden behind the dash, then the speedo and temp guage was ran to the new (VY) cluster would this stop a bunch of annoying issues like the seat belt light, etc

anyways, has anyone got any advice?

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Easiest way would be from the donor car, take all the body looms, dash loom and engine looms and swap them over. The engines and trans are the same so engine loom will work, body looms have different plugs so you need to use the ones out of the VY

Basically, use
VY body looms (to doors for windows and locks etc)
VY Dash looms (wires up behind dash that connect to body loom, these run to your air con, radio, dash cluster)
VY engine looms (purely because of different plugs)
VY BCM/PCM to suit new plugs, and its also needed to work the new cluster.

After those changes, it will function just like a VY.