Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Park light earth problem

claytonsmechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Hi all, brand new to the site. I have a problem with my VX front park lights not working. I have the whole front end off for other reasons, and have the whole front left headlight assembly removed. The fuses are fine, I am getting power to the light bulb, new bulbs installed, but lights not working. Not exactly sure how long they've been out for. I thought it must be an earth problem, because my power indicator light was showing power to the bulb but the light was not on. Being the auto-electrician (NOT) I thought about trying to run another earth for the light to see if that was the problem. Which I did (wire to touching the bulb and earthed to the chassis) with the power to the assembly disconnected because I was getting sparks. But get this, when I connect the power wire to the headlight assembly, both front parkers turn on, even though the lights are not turned on. When I get some time, I will be cleaning all the terminals, but was wondering if anyone might be able to enlighten me as to what is causing this problem. Thanks

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
Can you rewrite that in more than one paragraph? It's a bit difficult to understand, possibly the reason you haven't received a reply yet.

How did you know which terminal the earth was? You need to learn to use a multimeter to check earths using a voltage drop test. test lights are no good for this.

Ice101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
As moose man said, smaller paragraphs are good. And the best way to carry out testing is definitely using a multimeter, you can pick them up pretty cheap and they're handy for most things electrical.