Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

adding switch to factory footwell lights

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
evening everybody.

Just put some leds in my front footwells in place of the factory calais globes. worked a treat, looks great- my only issue is id like to have the option of keeping them on while driving.. but not the interior light.

can anyone tell me where I would wire a switch in to turn all the footwells on and off with the car running and doors closed? currently have 4x leds (2 either side) and planning on installing a few more.

help would be greatly appreciated.:)

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
need to get an on - on, or an on-off-on switch, double or single pole depending on which way you want it to work.

on-on will give you the option of either doors or always on, on-off-on will give you the option of doors, always on, or always off.

which ever way you go, wire the earth to the LEDs the the centre pin of the switch, the door earth (the one currently connected the the LEDs) to one of the outside pins, and the earth the other pin to the body somewhere.

then the other set of contacts, centre pin to the positive of the LEDs, the pin opposite the one you connected the door earth to needs to be connected to an ign./acc. supply (cigarette lighter, headunit etc.), and the remaining pin needs to be connected to the original interior lighting positive.

only problem with the first way/diagram is that you will be able to leave the lights on when you leave the car and flatten the battery.

second method/diagram just requires more work because you need to get a acc. supply, but will turn off when you turn the ignition off.

lights.jpglights2.jpg

Last edited:

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Mate you are the biggest legend! (everyone he's a legend!!) So just to recap make sure I understand correctly.

1. 3 position switch (up, middle, down) or (on, doors, off)
2. since i'll be running 4 or more LEDs i'll need to splice the wires into each other at the switch
3. Leds wires (singe +-) go into the switch
4. Newly run Acc wire goes into switch (probably spliced at the radio?)
5. Newly run Earth wire goes into switch (piggy back the radio earth)

This will allow me to Have the LEDs on when driving, or turn on when the doors open or off completely (may come in handy at some point) but this is my only question - will they always turn off when the ignition is off or only when the switch is set to on? If the switch is set to door will they still come on when I unlock the car?

Please correct me if I've got it wrong :) Thanks so much

EDIT: Also could I do just a simple on / off and have Always on and doors? might be easier lol

Last edited:

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
up, middle, down - always on, always off, doors.
yes.
yes.
yes.
yes.

if the switch is set to always on - in the first picture - they will be always on regards less of ignition position, doors, etc; if it is set to always on in the second picture - they will always be on, as long as the ignition is on.

if the switch is set to door, it will work exactly like they do now.

if you want it always on or doors, wire up as per first picture (single pole), but only use an on-on switch.