Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Daylight running lights wiring help please

BREWZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS BNS UTE 1998
G,day all i purchased some led daylight running lights which have a standard pos-neg wire i want to have them stay on with my ignition but i want them to switch off when i switch my headlights on how can this be done i have a standard v6 vr comm if there is a way please keep it as simple as possible the way i see it by puting the pos wires from lights to somewhere that is positive when engine is going but the neg from the lights need to connect to somewhere that isolates neg when you switch headlights on sounds simple or IS IT thanks for any help you may have brewza

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
easiest (read: least chance of problems) way would be with a relay or two.

drlwiring.jpg

another way is using a single relay, IGN to pin 85, headlight positive to pin 86, fused battery to pin 30, and DRL's to pin 87. only issue here is they will also come on with IGN off, and headlights on.

might possibly be able to put positive of DRL's to IGN, and negative to headlight positive. this all depends on current draw of the DRL's though.

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
why dont you just hook them up to a new switch? then you can have then on/off whenever you like....sounds easier to me

This is what I ended up doing. I first wired them up to the fog lights myself, but I wanted them on during the day without the fog lights.

So I got and auto elec to wire them up to a switch.

BREWZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS BNS UTE 1998
Thanks guys its good to here some input from a country boy thru the relay looks great to me and thru a switch well i would not remember to switch them on and in that case we all know what happins when we dont switch them off and i am getting on a bit thanks again for your input my next post i hope will be that i have had a good outcome cya brewza.

Last edited:

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Hey, rather than starting a new thread, has anyone used the DRL's from Autobarn? They look quite small and not all that bright, any feedback appreciated.