Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing foglights in a vt

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
hey there all, i have a VT, and i will soon be installing some foglights, but i dont want to use a foglight switch, or have to get another switch, 10WVN said that he read somehwere you could get it on the same relay as the lgihts you wanted on, for example have it wired to my parkers, so whenever i turn my parkers on, the foglights turn on, but so they still stay when i turn on my other lights as well.
any help on this would be great please.
cheers

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
It's exceptionally easy. I would suggest buying yourself a relay (or maybe two, depending on current ratings). Then get a splice connector, find the wire for the parkers, splice into that. Then feed the splice to the input of your relays. Hook the relays power up as per usual, and also the output of the relay to the power wire of the fog lights.

This is the easiest way to get them working, and won't overload any stock wires.

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
thanks for your help mate, i will be doing this in the next few days. so to hook the relays power up i assume you mean to the battery? do i need to hook each foglight to each parker? (so left fog to left parker and right fog to right parker?) this wont make my engine bay look like i have wires everywhere?

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Well in regard to making it look like you have wires everywhere, that's all determined by how good you are at hiding wires lol.

As for hooking up to each parker individually, you don't have to, but it's up to you if you do or not. If you don't then it could possibly look neater, as you'll only have one power wire coming from the battery (answering your first question) over to the relay for the passenger side fog light.

Do you know how to properly splice into a wire?

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
haha very true, i havent tried to hide wires before, so this will be a good learning curve. think ill wire them up to the same then, keep the wireing amount down. ive never spliced a wire before, is it hard to splice?

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
thanks for that denno, very helpful. i like your video of the dancing hand as well lol. this will make it easy for me now to do it when i get round to putting all my front togehter. thanks again

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Hey denno, where can u get that splice from? any dicksmith eletrical store?

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Dick smith might have them.. Look at like Sprint or Autobarns though, they'll def have them. Sold in like packs of 6 or 8, can't remember which.. They'll be with all of the wire butts, spades, forks etc etc etc.

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
thanks denno, i got my extra wire for the foglights from holden, so ill be having alook at splicing them on monday. ill let you know how i go.