Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH/VT starting problem

ivanov

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
My 2001 WH Statesman (V6 supercharged, ~200,000km) won't start some of the time (usually when I'm miles from home). It's driving me insane.

I've replaced the ignition module under the coils twice (new genuine Bosch parts), the starter motor relay twice (genuine Holden parts), and the ignition relay once (ditto). On some occasions I can turn the engine but with no spark (ignition relay failure, or module failure), and at other times the starter motor won't move (starter motor relay blown twice).

I've been back to the local dealer three times, and they haven't detected any diagnostic problems, but have got the car on the road again. When I've been out of town, either the NRMA or the RACV have come to my assistance, and given me tips on replacing relays (from the high beam relay, for example). The dealer's suggestion if the problem persists (which it appears to be) is to hunt an auto-electrician.

Yesterday, as I jumped into the car for the second time in the day (it started fine in the morning), the starter motor turned the engine over, but no spark. So I left it in my garage. This morning, it started fine. It's still in the garage, and I'm tossing up if I should go to the Holden dealer who has been servicing the car since 2001, or find a local electrician.

Anyone know of what I should be looking at more closely here, before I get the auto-electrician to replace every potential electrical item at my expense? It's got me entirely baffled.