Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Charging Issues

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
OK. Got my VH on the road, but i cant seem to keep a charge in the battery. Im running the battery in the boot and running cable sizes as per attached picture.

Looking for an answer to the below questions please.

Do i need to run an earth from the alternator to the chassis, if so, what's the best way to do this, off the bracket, or is there somewhere on the alternator i can hook into?
Do i need to run a bigger earth from the block to ground
Do i need to run an earth from the battery to the block
Do i need to run the light for the dash to make the alternator run properly

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• wiring.JPG
    wiring.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 132

VK_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V6
The earth from the block to the chassis should be adequate, both the alternator and starter use this as they are bolted to the engine.

Where is your charging wire? The alternator needs a 12V ignition feed to make it turn on, otherwise it won't do any charging at all. Some vehicles do this via the charging light setup.

Check the voltage with a voltmeter with the engine stopped and running, you should get an extra volt or so with it running if the alternator is working. If you get nothing at all then make sure your wiring is correct first. If you get a little but not above say 13V then you need to replace or rebuild the alternator.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
with my vk
i used to charge the battery, get 1 start out of it
go for a run and have to jump start it again,
they battery wouldnt charge.

turns out the battery level was left at "flat" for too long and the battery died.

try putting in a differnt battery and see how that goes??