Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need the "pin outs" on VR/VS LVL 2 and LVL 3 clusters.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
Hey everyone,

I've been reading the "tripin" post about upgrading your cluster from a level 2, up to a level 3 cluster in a vr/vs.

My concern arises that there may be differences (albeit subtle ones) between VR and VS clusters. (Possibly due to the different engines types, ecotec/non-ecotec)

I've attached a file for everyone to see. and when you see what i have listed so far, you will hopefully understand.

I've highlighted in RED what i need in order to finish the chart. If anyone has the following clusters , can you please type out what it says on the back of your cluster so i can finish the chart.

VR LVL 2
VS LVL 3

Thanks everyone!

Pantha!

Attachments

• VRVS CLUSTER.jpg
    VRVS CLUSTER.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,185

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The level 2 and level 3 are basicly the same layout for the dash plugs. I've made plenty of patch looms for VR/VS (40 odd) and never change the basic L2 loom.

I'll also look at your chart :)

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
The level 2 and level 3 are basicly the same layout for the dash plugs. I've made plenty of patch looms for VR/VS (40 odd) and never change the basic L2 loom.

I'll also look at your chart :)

Are they "basically" or "exactly" the same? hence why i would like to have the list as written on the actual clusters. Then i can make up a loom, as i have both plugs for the 4th connector and the mode switch panel. (already have the mode switch panel too)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I dont understand you have what you need there?? why do you need different clusters? are you planning on making looms to sell? If so i suggest you listen to 88greenvn I've installed his looms before for customers and havent had any dramas he knows what he's talking about

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
ok thats fine... but there is one wire im not trusting of... the rheostat wire...

i assume it is a "dimming" control of the 3 lcd screens. such that, when you dim the cluster via the headlight switch, the dials will dim, but if you dont hook up the rheostat wire... the lcd screens stay bright???

if i am right... how can i be 100% sure that its tied to a "NEGATIVE" illumination pin? as from reading in the threads, it says to connect it to pin 5 on connector 2. but this pin changes from level 2, to level 3 clusters.

hence... is it on pin 5 of the level 2 setting? or pin 5 on the level 3 setting? as this determines if it is a positive or negative trigger?

thanks.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok thats fine... but there is one wire im not trusting of... the rheostat wire...

i assume it is a "dimming" control of the 3 lcd screens. such that, when you dim the cluster via the headlight switch, the dials will dim, but if you dont hook up the rheostat wire... the lcd screens stay bright???

if i am right... how can i be 100% sure that its tied to a "NEGATIVE" illumination pin? as from reading in the threads, it says to connect it to pin 5 on connector 2. but this pin changes from level 2, to level 3 clusters.

hence... is it on pin 5 of the level 2 setting? or pin 5 on the level 3 setting? as this determines if it is a positive or negative trigger?

thanks.

Why would you not hook up the rehostat wire? I'm not sure on that one.

The level 2 loom has brown white wire at C2#4 and this connects to the switch block light - which feeds all 3 centre switches also.

C2#5 is not used in the level 3 "patch loom" as such and I have never looked at it.

The patch loom will run both level 2 and level 3 clusters once installed correctly.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
I want to hook up the rheostat wire. but what trigger is it in a level 3 ORIGINAL wire loom? is it a "negative" or "positive" trigger? (ie: is it "ILL -" or "ILL +" trigger)

The patch loom will run both level 2 and level 3 clusters once installed correctly.

C2#4 and C2#5 pins swap from a level 2 to a level 3 cluster... how can you run both successfully when the polarity changes from one to another? won't this cause a fault?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I want to hook up the rheostat wire. but what trigger is it in a level 3 ORIGINAL wire loom? is it a "negative" or "positive" trigger? (ie: is it "ILL -" or "ILL +" trigger)

C2#4 and C2#5 pins swap from a level 2 to a level 3 cluster... how can you run both successfully when the polarity changes from one to another? won't this cause a fault?

Not so far - in all cases where I've had both clusters in and out of a car - both clusters light up OK - cant recall the dimmer side of things tho. I dont have a VR or VS car to play with :(

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
wait... ive had a discovery... found mistakes in the "tripin" thread... hence my need for verification....

notice the 2 attached images taken from that thread.

1. "press remote" and "seat belt" are the wrong way around. Level 3 cluster is "press remote". so from that, what caused the "seat belt" light to illuminate on a level 2. as the same seat belt trigger will now show "press remote" on a level 3.

2. these too, are backwards, but it is irrelevant, as pin 7 and pin 8 form both terminals of ONE globe. (The AIR BAG globe)

3. Should this say connector 3 pin 5?? ... (refer to second pic where circled, it shows it connected to C3) which, if it does, fixes the "which polarity is the trigger meant to go to?" as with both levels, pin 5 on this connector is a NEGATIVE.

If im correct in saying this... should the tripin thread be fixed???

Attachments

• cluster wiring chart new.jpg
    cluster wiring chart new.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 1,618
  • wiring 1 new.jpg
    wiring 1 new.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 3,053

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes the document is incorrect on the C2#5 - it should be C3#5.

This documnet was posted up and probably never checked - I know I didnt look at it.

I had a loom made up for me by Markovr as a guide. I now make them from memory on the jig :) and so far with the 40 odd I've now made - not 1 failure. ( I did use the colour wire chart as a ref to start with)

Today I'm making the spot light plug diagram so you can splice in the plug to a L2 loom. It's only 6 or so wires and you have factory spotlight plug into your dash loom - ready for spotties if your going to fit them .