Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

driving lights on vr commodore exec

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
trying to wire in some extra driving lamps so when i put the headlights on they will turn on as well- (not as a separate switch) just wondering if someone could tell me where i could place the positive wire from the driving lamps so i can connect it directly to a wire running from the headlights somewhere?

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
trying to wire in some extra driving lamps so when i put the headlights on they will turn on as well- (not as a separate switch) just wondering if someone could tell me where i could place the positive wire from the driving lamps so i can connect it directly to a wire running from the headlights somewhere?

I would suggest you wire it up the same as the factory foglamps that come on the SS commodores.

Get your hands on a gregories manual. and use a relay, fuse, etc. If youre clever enough, you can wire it into the factory fuse box. (Unless your loom comes with the wiring already there, in which case, you just need the relay and fuse to plug into the empty spots.)

Then you can have the driving lights on or off using the extra switch (under the h/light switch) ... but ... they will only work if the headlights are on.

They will then work as follows:
Foglight switch ON + Headlight Switch OFF = driving lights OFF
Foglight switch ON + Headlight Switch ON = driving lights ON
Foglight switch OFF + Headlight Switch OFF = driving lights OFF
Foglight switch OFF + Headlight Switch ON = driving lights OFF

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
ok, but i dont have the extra switch for "foglamps", i just want to bridge a wire from the headlights somewhere so when i would normally turn on my headlights, my driving lights will turn on as well

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
just letting you know that it will be illegal to have it setup like that, but anyways you will need to use a relay. mount the relay somewhere run a wire with a fuse holder from batt pos to pin 30 on the relay, run the driving lights positive wires to pin 87, run a single wire from pin 86 to an earth, and run a single wire from pin 85 to the headlight and you will need to find the positive wire for the low beams and splice the wire into that (i cant remember if commodores switch positives or negatives for the high and lowbeam)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The headlight relay normally supplies a earth to the headlights to turn them on ........You need to use a extra relay and tee off the wire somewhere that goes from terminal 30 of the low beam relay to the headlights themselves which should be a tan wire .This can then supply a earth to the extra relay to energise it and the extra relay can then switch a 12v+ supplied from the battery somehow to your extra lights with the other side of the extra lights earthed or tee off the wire that goes from terminal 30 of the high beam relay to the headlights which should be a light green wire if you only want them to come on at high beam.