Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Need a power source for install of extra car charger

kidnplay01

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV YII Maloo R8
Hi guys,
I have a 1990 VN Wagon, Im wanting to install a mobile charging system / hotwired into another power source.
I have bought a cigarette lighter kit that came with a 20 amp fuse (from Jaycar)

I cannot use the cigarette lighter that is already installed in the car (oem) as its not available

So in short what other wire can i cut into and split to solder in the new cig lighter/adapter? obviosly one that will not be powered with the keys removed i think will be best.

I was thinking as a quicker way of doing things are there any wires i can split from under the ashtray thats in the centre console? or maybe tap into the Car radio Power?

color chart of wire available also by chance? couldnt find it using the search button?

thanks for your help in advance.

kidnplay01

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV YII Maloo R8
Anybody..surely i thought i could have had some replies by now as its simple enough Q for those that have installed powered items.

and no color wiring chart also? as worst case scenario i could just hunt it down that way..

tufwgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
does your existing cigarette lighter still have power running to it.....if so.....i would just get another cigarette lighter (female section), piggy back those wires onto the existing cigarette lighter wires so you'll have your power and earth and illumination (don't have to have illumination), and just run an on/off switch in between those wires.....but this will mean that you'll still need keys to get the power, the on/off switch will just be there to cut the power off while you still have the keys in......or another way would be to run the power cable direct to the battery and run the switch between that so you have constant power when switched on regardless if keys are in our out, and the switch will be able to shut it off....

kidnplay01

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV YII Maloo R8
Can't use the lighter as it's unavailable. Using it for something. Hence needing the power lead elsewhere

mcin7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
Hi guys,
So in short what other wire can i cut into and split to solder in the new cig lighter/adapter? obviosly one that will not be powered with the keys removed i think will be best.

I was thinking as a quicker way of doing things are there any wires i can split from under the ashtray thats in the centre console? or maybe tap into the Car radio Power?

color chart of wire available also by chance? couldnt find it using the search button?

Why can't you tap into the existing cig lighter? You said it's not available assuming you have something already plugged in there?

Anyway, I would tap into the 12v from the radio if there are no wires to the cig lighter.
Follow this as a guide on how to get to the radio:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/installing-stereo-into-vn-vs.3935

Quote from KAL SPL:
Orange = constant 12V
yellow = accesories
Black = earth
Brown/white = illumination
yellow/red = elec aerial

Yellow is a 12v line which will only come on when the key is turned.

Also, I would remove the glove box and pull the group of wires up so you can see them.
Once you can see them, check if the yellow wire is there. It will save you removing a whole bunch of stuff as you could then tap into it there and feed it through the center console or, just leave it in your glove box.

Edit: There is no yellow wire in the group of wires behind the glove box.

But I checked my cig lighter, my cig lighter wire is brown yellow.
If you see a brown yellow wire floating about, try run off that and see what happens.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
LOL... What are you using it for?

Just piggy back off that, unless you run thicker cable most of the other wires won't be able to cope with that much current running through them.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
+1 to post number 5. I did the same thing, just tap into the yellow accessories wire. I used it to power my neons or ricelights as i like to call them. However a ciggy lighter might be a bit strong for that wire, but hey i can be wrong just like the next man.

instead maybe tap and plug in whatever you have in your existing ciggy lighter ( or in other terms hardwire it) in to the yellow acc wire because chances are it draws less current than a ciggy lighter, and use the oem ciggy lighter for its intended purposes... lighting fags :D

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
I would check how much power you will drawing through the cig lighter first, may not be enough to blow a fuse right away but might be enough to melt the plastic coating on the wires over time.

kidnplay01

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV YII Maloo R8
Cig lighter unavailable due to i have a fuel cutt off system running off it that was installed by a auto electrician,He rewired a few items so you cant tell whats what. In short it stops thieves in their tracks as a combination OF items have to be say on/off for the fuel pump to prime. No right combo, no starting of my baby. It has stopped many thieves that have broken into it, smashed the steering wheel column cover off etc to start the car. It starts for like 2 seconds and thats it from whatever is left in the lines.

Hence why i cant use the cig lighter and a few others i shouldnt name online for just in case purposes. So finding out what else is out there and i will check to see if they are still there and tap into them if they are.

Thanks for your help guys