Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore VN CPU Question (Ozzy vs NZ - any difference?)

slimecity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ecotec v6 (Mk 2) 1996 Auto
Hi there - I have a VN 1989 V6 and live in NZ. These commys were made in Aus (I think) and didnt include an O2 sensor (definitely).

The problem is that I had a CEL and before I knew how to retrieve the error code took it to the mechanic (stupid move) who promptly replaced the CPU - needless to say this didnt fix the prob and I am now getting an "engine running lean" code 44.

I think the original code may have related to a faulty coil pack - i replaced that myself and my theory is that this fixed the original fault (intermittent stalling).

My question is: As they have replaced the CPU, does it make a diff if they installed a CPU meant for ozzy models - and now the new CPU is interpreting no signal from any O2 sensor as an "error?"

I dont have an O2 sensor, just a nut screwed into the exhaust mani where the sensor woud normally be. There is a thin green wire hanging close to the exhaust mani which I think would normally connect to the O2 sensor.

I want to be sure this isnt likely to be causing an issue before i start checking out other fuel flow/injector/FPR possible issues.

cheers! Simon

mistergTRx

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP commodore
this may not be the answer you're after, but if you have a place to put the O2 sensor (which is just blanked off with a bolt)
and the wiring cant you just put a sensor in and hook it up to the green wire?
it has to be a cheaper option then looking into your fuel flow/injector/FPR?

but i cant see why they would use different CPUs for the same car, i mean it has the same engine yeah?
and i dont think they could GMH benefit from using a different setup?
to me it seems like the same as what happened with the lexcens

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the ECU would be same as Australia (Holden used the same ECU in the Camiras & Astras and from VL (Walkinshaw) right up to VP.
the only difference between the different makes & models is the memcal - think of the ECU as a computer and the memcal as a CD/program.
If your mechanic replaced your ECU, then he should have swapped over your memcal which would have the oxygen sensor input disabled for NZ. If he just swapped the entire ECU over without swapping the memcal, then it's very likely that it would cause the error you are getting as it's running the Australian program/calibration

Ask your mechanic if he swapped over your memcal into the replacement ECU.