Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT dash, no illumination.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I have searched on here and all the answers seem to be the same, check fuses or bulbs and replace.

I only get to see my VT once every week or 2nd week because I have no room here and cant keep 2 cars. Tomorrow Ill be going down to try and fix this and other little things before the VIV inspection coming up shortly.

Say I check the fuses and bulbs and they are fine what would be the next step to track down the problem?

From what I have read in a search is that some guy installed a stereo and lost his dash lights, but it was never replied to if it was ever fixed or how he fixed it and I think my problem may be similar but didn't want to bump up a ancient thread.

When I bought it I noticed the stock tape deck sticking out a little so I pulled it out and all the wires behind it were chopped, possibly causing a short?

If anyone has any suggestions apart from check fuses and globes please let me know, thanks!

vtssII

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss II 5.7
ive got the same problem , i just got my s2 vt ss and it keeps blowing fuses out for the tail lights/ instrument cluster.

ive repaired a possible short out that was for the trailer plug, plus ive secured the connections for tail lights which are mounted in the boot? are these std ? cause the wires were just twisted and taped haha

my next area to search im thinking is maybe the cd player

also maybe the shift kit switch

all my ac /heater control lights are blown and i think the computer screen light under the speedo and tacho could be blown too

this wouldnt cause a fuse to tripout though would it?

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
So do the obvious and check the fuses are all ok. You'll probably have no tail lights as well.

Not 100% sure if the VT's have a illimunation or dimmer wire in the stock harness (so when you dim the instrument lights or turn the headlights on, the stock headunit lights dim?) but if it does, this may be causing your problem.
It might be wired up to a power source or something similar. If it does, just tape it up with electrical tape and see if that solves the problem.

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
replace the tail light harness, its a common problem on vt's. they rust inside and short from memory i think they are about $40 a pair. or you could go get some from a wreckers but i would buy new ones.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
It was a 10A fuse, caused tail lights, instrument cluster and parkers not to work.

I already bought tail light harnesses off a guy on here 2 weeks ago but he never sent them and wont reply, bought another set today off ebay instead.

Ill put them in before I take it for inspection just in-case the fuse blows again and it fails to pass.

Thanks everyone.

vtssII

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss II 5.7
fixed my problem. most cases of this is from idiots butchering up original wiring, so i had a look behind my head unit, which althought was messy and possibly one of the worst install jobs ive ever seen , wasnt the problem.

the next spot i looked at was the trailer plug wiring which i pin pointed the problem to being a wire broken off inside the plug fitting and was arcing on another wire

more often then not wiring should only fail where people have modified in the past, alot of the factory stuff is usually pretty spot on.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Yeah my trailer harness has exposed wires too, Ill try trace back the wires and unplug it next time I get the chance.