Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX electrical problems

Bandito_Mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Hi guys, I have done a good search of the site and can't find an answer to my question - apologies if it has been discussed before and I couldn't find it.

Anyways I have a 2001 VX Acclaim wagon which has a couple of electrical issues, I was wondering if someone could let me know if these are common and how/if I can fix them. I think they are related.

The first is that the dash lights and radio lights flicker while the car is idling. I have checked the alternator and it is putting out about 14.4 volts, so I think it's ok. The battery is alright, the car never has trouble starting, so I think that's ok. Sometimes when using the indicators it makes the dash and radio ights dim in time with the indicator coming on.

Sometimes when lowering power windows, the tacho needle drops real suddenly and at times even the engine revs drop a bit too. Also sometimes when lowering the windows, the traction control light comes on. I replaced the master switch in the centre console a while ago with a new genuine one but this hasn't fixed it. Lowering the windows sometimes also makes the dash and radio lights dim quite a lot too, especially if using more than one at a time. The thing is though it doesn't happen all the time, just some of the time! Very frustrating.

Do you think it is an earth issue? Would installing an earthing kit help? is this a common VX problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I am thinking bad earth, but where? You might need the help of an auto electrician. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
Mine did this as my alternator wire was melting and self distructing behind the alternator

m1chael1o1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Commodore
Hi guys, I have done a good search of the site and can't find an answer to my question - apologies if it has been discussed before and I couldn't find it.

Anyways I have a 2001 VX Acclaim wagon which has a couple of electrical issues, I was wondering if someone could let me know if these are common and how/if I can fix them. I think they are related.

The first is that the dash lights and radio lights flicker while the car is idling. I have checked the alternator and it is putting out about 14.4 volts, so I think it's ok. The battery is alright, the car never has trouble starting, so I think that's ok. Sometimes when using the indicators it makes the dash and radio ights dim in time with the indicator coming on.

Sometimes when lowering power windows, the tacho needle drops real suddenly and at times even the engine revs drop a bit too. Also sometimes when lowering the windows, the traction control light comes on. I replaced the master switch in the centre console a while ago with a new genuine one but this hasn't fixed it. Lowering the windows sometimes also makes the dash and radio lights dim quite a lot too, especially if using more than one at a time. The thing is though it doesn't happen all the time, just some of the time! Very frustrating.

Do you think it is an earth issue? Would installing an earthing kit help? is this a common VX problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I reken its the turbo man how much psi u pushing???