Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V8 won't start, everything has power that should and still no spark.

pungent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L
I have searched through this forum and many other's but can not seem to be able to find the answer.

A mates car as we were tuning it after cam install just randomly cut out as if we just turned the key of under full throttle about 4000rpm.

The BCM is turned of in the tune so shouldnt be anything to do with that.

His key is dodgy as, can this still effect it even with the vats turned of in the tune??

We have tried another working distributor, coil and module with no luck.

All the wires from the ecu to the module have there correct voltages and also the wires out of the module to coil and distributor have correct voltages etc.

The main efi relay is working fine and is sending power to module and coil.

There is no spark coming from the coil at all not even a weak spark just dead.

Battery has been fully charged.

Can anyone think of something I have missed.

Any help appreciated.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
check the dizzy rotor is turning when you crank the engine as it should spark even if the ecu is not working

pungent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L
Well there you go, just checked and no the rotor is not turning. This is the dizzy out of my car (i'm a little worried now). I will now have a look and find out why its not turning.

Cheer's mate once again.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
snapped the locator dowel on the end of the cam or snapped a chain or snapped the cam itself whip a valve cover off see if any rockers move i wouldnt wind it over too much cause no oil will be pumping round if you have dropped the timing chain

pungent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L
Yeah already had all them scenario's in my head lol. Just going to pull the dizzy out now and hopefully it's the pin although this is the second dizzy we have had in it and no spark so not looking good.

pungent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L
Well turns out it's a snapped cam. It's broken just before the last lobe at the back of the engine.

Cam wouldn't have traveled 10km all up. Longest part of it's life was the 20 minute run in.

Mate's not happy at all as expected.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
bummer least it will be under warrenty get a new one and get them to supply new lifters too

pungent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L
Wow, would you believe at some time or another an allen key has ended up in the sump and has found it's way up and wedged it self in between the cam lobe and the side of the block causing the cam to snap.

We have tried flogging it out with a punch and hammer and it is not moving lol.

I'll put a picture up tomorrow.