Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Calias - drawing current from battery while off

back2holdens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hey guys, i just bought a VT Calais 5L and theres an issue withit drawing current from the battery while its off. Overnight the battey is drained and there seems to be a short or something somewhere. No lights are on inside and we put a meter on it and couldnt find the source from any of the wires.. The dash is showing the engine light but i doubt that theres a link.. Any ideas ppl ?? cheers

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Is the car fitted with a aftermarket alarm? If it is then it could be causing the drain. Aftermaket alarm are known to do this.
Do you have any other gadgets installed?
Check if no relay are staying on.

SinnieC

Reaction score
Where the cops are few & speed cameras are none QL
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I suggest eliminating the battery and charging system before you go searching for a hidden current drain.
How old is the battery and is it in good condition? Has the battery been excessively discharged?
What is the battery's state of charge when you car won't start? If it reads 12.66volts on a multimeter, it's 100% and may have dropped a cell.
Is the battery able to hold charge? Check intermittently over a few hours.
Have you checked the charging system (alternator) and is it producing enough current to keep the battery charged?

If all the above checks out then look for blown fuses, short circuit in the electrical system etc :)

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Once the battery and alternator are ruled out, using a multimeter on amps, with the engine and interior light off, start removing fuses till the draw disappears, this should tell you which circuit is causing the problem.
Also check your boot light.