Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Evil high pitched squealing from front speakers when car is running

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
Long story short, bought VR Exec. There was already a stereo installed, it didn't work. Wouldn't pick up any stations and the sound was incredibly muffled playing a CD, with the volume at 100. Took the mother out.

The wiring was incredibly.. awful. Whomever did it just piggy-backed a wiring loom to the existing stereo wiring loom. There was two plugs from the loom they'd wiring up, and they'd left the speaker plug just handing there. Anyway, I replaced the stereo head unit with one I had laying around.

The replacement head unit works wonderfully, except for when you turn the car on. Once the car is turned on theres a loud high pitched noise from both front speakers, and the left one seems to beep. Whilst drive it, there's also a weird fan type noise from under the passenger side kick panel there.. If the car isn't running, but the ignition is on the reds only, the stereo works fine and the speakers don't squeal.

Your thoughts on what could cause it to work a okay except for when the engine is turned over? Should I start by undoing the hell of an existing wiring job or.. ? Anyone encountered this?

Cheers
Sabrina

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Rewire it properly, will make a massive difference.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
I reckon you have a wire off one of your speaker terminals or wire to one of them is broken , speaker is using its frame & using car earth as a medium of transfer rather than the wire. Is you radio doing the same?? if it is then the CD/radio has a bad earth to the car frame. OR, the antenna has a bad earth to the car frame. Also check your spark plugs & leads are not deteriorated &/Or Alternator terminals are firm . -Start from scratch & do the wiring again as last post suggests.