Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Optima 17" monitor in my VP

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Hey all

im looking to put my spare monitor in my car. It runs off 12v power, but has a 240-12v convertor in the middle of the cable.

How would i wire this to the car?

Sort of like this but with a different plug into the screen.

hp-compaq-2510p-18.5v-3.5a-65w-laptop-ac-adapter-mains-charger-power-supply-unit-psu-12168-p.jpg

I can get an actual photo of the plug if that helps?

screen is like this:

062342360_optima15inglossyscreenfront.jpg

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate

Umm, Cause it has a DVD player HU, so im thinking of putting it in the back seat for DVD's and what not...

Is there anyway to do it without an invertor?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
wouldn't it be better to use monitors designed for the job?, you know. Monitors that aren't 17" wide and need a desk to sit on?

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sure, If i was buying one.. This i already have.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate..

Unfortunately they dont fit it

SimKop

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Modified VP Calais, 1991-92
Hey VKCOMMO,

You still interested in installing this monitor into ya car? How handy r u with automotive wiring? I can help you, just need to know you level of knowledge and handyness. R you looking for an off the shelf solution or able to willing to modify your wiring loom?

Simmo...

P.S For everyone else and posted here, its not for you guys to question why VKCOMMO wants to install his monitor into his car. If you can help then do so. If you cann't then read on.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate

Im running some 4ga to the boot with a dissy block for my amps, and it still has 2 outputs so i was thinking of wiring in a invertor and using the optima wiring with it

Still tossing up where to mount it, Thinking maybe the boot, But if i do that, Ill be tempted to put in my 26" LCD...

VKC

SimKop

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Modified VP Calais, 1991-92
Hey VKC,
just be careful installing an inverter off your main battery supply. Its easy to blow alternator regulators and fuses if you wack a big inverter load on. You may consider installing a dual battery system and run your inverter and amps of the second battery. This is what I'm doing in my car. but I'm modding it even more then that. I'm putting in a whole seperate alternator charging system for two extra batteries in the boot. 1x for my entertainment system (PC based) and the other one for a 2400watt inverter. (I do a lot of camping and construction site work.) I have a lot more going into it then that. But I can help answer and technical questions or give you some advice on which way would be better out of multiple options if you would like.

As for the 26" LCD monitor, does it too have a 12Volt power supply; or is that one have 240 Volts in, hence the inverter?

Cheers

Simmo...