Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fan problems VS Statesman

Algo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hello all I'm new to the site and fixing cars, don't burn me please! haha :)

Iv'e been having a lot of problems with the cooling system with my missus VS statesman for the last couple of weeks I found out the water pump was buggered on it so i replaced that (witch took me a whole day may i add) haha. i did that right no worries didn't leak, car started no worries...took it for a spin still over heating...so something else was stuffed on it so i flushed the system, no blockage in the system changed the thermostat thats all sweet. Then yesterday after replacing the radiator cap coz the old one feel to pieces on me, i notice as i turned it on to run it to see if it would run hot, the thermo fan wasn't kicking in at all. Now from reading other posts on here i'm thinking its the relay? Or the fan itself is stuffed? Just wondering if anybody can tell me how to test the fan and test the relay? is it possible to hard wire the fan to a battery to test it?

Also is the relay for the thermo fan called the "low fan" coz there's a relay missing under the bonnet where it says "low fan" i'm not sure if its ment to be missing or not.

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
To test the cooling fan,you just remove the coolant temp sensor wiring from the coolant temp sensor,theres 2 temp sensors,ones for the temp gauge,the other is for the ECU.The ECU one is the one you want to remove,its the one with a couple of wires going to it,the temp gauge sensor has only 1 wire going to it.Anyway,remove the sensor wiring connector from the sensor,and start the engine.After approximately 12 seconds, the cooling fan should start up at low speed,after a further 6 seconds,the fan should switch to high speed,if it does this,the cooling fan and its systems are working as they should.The cooling fan should also run on low speed when the A/C is switched on.Also Ive had a few problems with the cooling low fan relay in my VSV6 ,this relay is located under the bonnet in the fuse box.Just remove the low fan relay,and use the LP CHECK relay which is the same relay,and then see if it works.If you look closely at the relays middle pin,it gets hot and slightly melts the plastic around the base of the pin,if it looks like this,its a good sign that its failed.They are around $10 from holden to replace.Ive been through 4 now in 6 years,they seem to last around 12 months in my car before they fail.
EDIT-I didnt see you mentioned that the low fan relay is not even there,that could be your problem then.Fit the LP check relay to where the low fan relay is meant to be, and see what happens then.

Algo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hey mate, cheers heaps for the help.

I removed the LP check relay and placed it in the lo fan slot, let the car heat up to over half way, and the fan didn't kick in at all, is the fan buggered then? i haven't tryed to do what you said first off yet, i'm a bit unclear on where to look for the temp senor? i'm still abit of a noobie with cars.

also the A/C wasn't working before the car started stuffing up just blowing hot air, dunno if thats got something to do with it.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive PM'ed you a pic of the temp sensor,just remove the wiring connector from this sensor and then do the test I mentioned before..

Algo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
cheers for the PM. Ok i think ive did it right, the connector had 3 wires connected to it, solid blue wire, a solid white wire and a yellow and black wire attached to it yeah? This is 5l too dunno if its different to the v6, but i did what you said and the fan didn't start up at all. I swapped the LP check relay around, tried it once with the LP check in the lo fan slot. then tried it without it in the lo fan slot, just in case the car been wired a different way then normal.

So i need to find myself a new thermo fan i think..? hahaha bloody hope so this car has been a pain since day one.

Thanks again mate :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sorry mate, I was referring to the V6 engine,I thought all the V8's had a fluid clutch cooling fan,and when you mentioned the thermo fan,I assumed it was a V6.Im not too sure on the testing proceedure for the V8's with a thermo fan.Someone here will know though, and should be able to help you out further..

Algo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Oh ok, so i'm not out of the dark yet hahaha, yeah its got the clutch cooling fan, and a thermo fan on the front of the radiator well theres a fan on the front of the radiator witch i think is a thermo fan..thats where they go yeah? hahahaha i should find another hobbie i think..

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Isnt the front electric fan only for when the Air Cond is on???? Try the test with A/C on.....

JAAV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR wagon, 5 ltr ski boat, VS ute, VT calais.
Just having problems with my VR, AC shuts down and then Temp climbs. Fan some times works for a min or so..Found the Fan motor plug to main wiring loom melted.. Simple fix..Stuff the plug, now hard wired...
Funny thing is I disconected the temp sencor and the and it wont go low or high..If the engine is 3/4 temp or the AC is on it works...