Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Incorrect wiring for interior lights

misdirection101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 3.6 V6 Alloy-Tech
Hey guys

Putting some LED's in to replace the current bulbs in my centre interior light hub for my 05 VZ Acclaim. Chucked them in, turned them on and they don't work. I spoke to the guy where I got the LED's from and he reckons a few models like the VY and VZ were incorrectly wired during production. Something to do with the ground wire being in the wrong place?
Anyone heard anything about this? And if you have any solutions so I can get my LED's up and going?

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
the map light connections are reversed that is fine when using standard globes but because LED have a + and - it becomes a problem as the base is + and the casing is -

the way i did it was to make custom ones where i took a standard bulb broke the glass and fitted LEDs so that the base was - and the case was +

hope it makes sense

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Experienced the same problem with mine, did hear rumors about it having something to do with Police vehicles, and that it was easier to make most, if not all vehicles the same way.

Easy enough fix, remove the sunglasses holder, unscrew the wires going to the positive (base) terminal and negative (case) terminal and swap them over. For memory, one of them needs to be extended, but mine worked after swapping the pos and neg leads.

Cheers!

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
don't do that all lighting is negatively switched and controlled by the BCM

you'll risk damaging it

misdirection101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 3.6 V6 Alloy-Tech
don't do that all lighting is negatively switched and controlled by the BCM

you'll risk damaging it

What's the risk if I just switch the polarity of the wires to the BCM?
Also is it fairly easy to make those custom LED bulbs?