Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with footwell LED install

Helmo645

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I have 2 12inch blue LED strips coming in the mail soon from good old ebay and will be wanting to install them in the footwells of my VT asap but have no idea where to start when i do get them :p.

They are ones that come with ciggy lighter attachement but a built in fuse or some **** for if you want to hardwire them. This is their description anyway
Code:
Wire length from cigarette lighter to neon light is 250cm.

12v cigarette lighter plug

Inline fuse is included to hard wire the led light strip instead of using the cigarette lighter adapter.

So what I probably want is so that they turn on when i turn my lights on and when doors are open too however probably want a way so that i can have them off incase i get pulled over or anything.. Im guessing i would just need to get a switch of some sort can anyone suggest me a sort and where from? Going to geelong soon so should be able to pickone up..

So i spose i just tape them up in my footwells but then how would i go about connecting them to power and doing the switch.

Sorry i figure this is a pretty common question but couldnt find anything like this so thanks for the help if you can give a detailed answer that would be great!!

Helmo645

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it possible to route them up maybe to that center dome light somehow so that when doors open i can have them on yet still have full functionality of dome light too and also have it so that i can have them on but also have the dome off?

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
You could use a relay wired up to your headlight switch or if you have a look at your stereos wiring loom you should have an 'illumination' wire that you could tap from.

If you wire a relay up to this it should be sufficient, I haven't tried it however so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Cheers

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
easiest thing to do is to slice into the illumination wires in the drivers pillar that run to the dome light, i know in the VS-pre it was the orange wires, not sure about the VT
IMO don't see the point of having them on whilst having driving lights but that's just me.

as for a switch, check how much Amps the fuse is rated at and any switch with a higher rating will be work. e.g fuse says; .250A, then a 1+amp switch will do.
all switches should say what their ratings are on their sides
SPDT Sub-Miniature Toggle Switch - Solder Tag - Jaycar Electronics
you can use a "push" switch just make sure its not a momentary one.

you can get switchs @ Jay Car, some of the smaller Dick Smith stores still stock switchs and at auto stores (but these ones are usually 10+Amp ones which are larger in size)

as XStatic64 said, you can attach a relay (relay is an electronic switch) to the wires at the back of the light switch since it activates the light relays in the enginebay. but its easier to just attach it to the wire that powers the light attached to the cigarette lighter.