Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT commodore electrical fault, reverse, brake and head lights

ED88

Reaction score
Ive just gotten a VT II Commodore. Its generally in good nik, however odd issue. First of all reverse lights do not turn on when reverse is engaged. When i apply the brake the parker lights and the brake lights come on. When im driving at night with my head lights switched on the brake lights stay on and do not brighten when i apply the brakes. I have checked all bulbs and fuses, they are fine. I have no idea what to do next and am not really able to afford an autoelectrician but i suppose that'll be the easiest solution... help?

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
Firstly, wrong section.

Secondly, probably a faulty connection or short in the wiring loom, most likely in the boot area. Take the side panels off to find the wiring loom (From memory its on the drivers side, but we got rid of the VT a couple of years ago now) and check every connector there.

hutch892

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH V8 Statesman, VXII S, VT SC Berlina
I had the same problem with my brake lights. Spent ages checking earths and connections and it was all fine. Eventually found that a different stop lamp connector had been put in and was wired up wrong. It was a while ago now but i think there was a brown and a br/w wire around the wrong way on one of them, switched them around and it fixed it.

nicb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
i had this exact same problem with my VS.... i changed all the bulbs and now is fine..and all works! one of the bulbs previously put in was a single filament when it shouldve been a double filament globe..

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
i had this exact same problem with my VS.... i changed all the bulbs and now is fine..and all works! one of the bulbs previously put in was a single filament when it shouldve been a double filament globe..

spot on, this is a vey common mistake. look into the socket, if it has one terminal inside it needs a single terminal bulb, and vice versa.

nicb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
my Vs has a one terminal socket but its to the side and was informed it needed a double in it cause the terminal isnt in the middle hence the poor connection..

moose man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII
This is because the metal spring strap has broken off it.

nicb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
No, sorry moose man but my VS is exactly the same as a friends and its not broken.... apparently some terminals are like that in the VS.... its the same on both sides (reverse terminal).

ED88

Reaction score
thanks for all your help guys ill check again tomorrow morning! sorry for posting in wrong section etc. cheers