Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bad earth from block to chassis?

NOT 38

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
hey guys ive done a fuse box relocation and battery relocation on my vn
ive had dramas getting it started got fuel got spark. so it should start by rights. is it possible that i have a bad earth from the block to the chassis. and if so how do i test it ??

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
I don't know whether this will help with getting it started, especially if you have fuel and spark.

To test the earth you can check the voltage drop across the cable.

Get a multimeter, set it to volts and clip one end to the negative battery terminal.
Using the other probe put it on to the bolts/terminals/chassis/engine where you want to check.

This will give you a small voltage reading (usually millivolts) I usually give them a quick clean up if I'm loosing more than half a volt. But I'm pedantic.

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
Not sure where you put your battery but if its in the boot you will need an earth to body, an earth to chassis and an earth to engine. For mine from the battery box in the boot theres 2 cables, one earthed straight to body near the hinge point for the boot lid and the other runs through the interior out the firewall to the back of the block driver side. Then i have 1 from the driver side front block to the mount point near the fusebox and 1 from the passenger side front block to the chassis point all in large diameter cable not the OE rubbish. Those are just the main earth points. You moved the fusebox so if those earth points are no good im sure you can find somewhere for them. If your using an aftermarket ignition (im using ICE) then its a must they have a well earthed system.

NOT 38

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
ive mounted the battery in the boot. the negative goes straight to the chassis using 0 gauge cable. the only other earth ive used is a 0 gauge cable from the inside of the engine mount to the K frame. is this sufficient ?

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
ive mounted the battery in the boot. the negative goes straight to the chassis using 0 gauge cable. the only other earth ive used is a 0 gauge cable from the inside of the engine mount to the K frame. is this sufficient ?

yes .

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the jframe is rubber mounted go direct to the body from the engine

NOT 38

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
should i run it to the chassis rail ?