Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking into installing a second battery into my boot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais 1999
ok been doing a lil reading on here and from what i can tell i need

0 gauge wire for both - and +
battery isolator
battery termanals

after not after A DIGRAM yet just a list of parts

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Battery box and tubing for venting? An SLA might be best.

Mounting bracket.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
-Fuses would have to be one of the first things you would want.

-Bloody good mounts, I mean better than the ones in the front of most cars.

-Get crimp lugs, not screw on ones.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
-Fuses would have to be one of the first things you would want.

You can buy a battery box (which you will need) that comes with a circuit breaker on it - no need for fuses.
I have a battery mounted in the boot of my XR6 turbo. Make sure you run an earth from the battery to the chassis (short) and then another back down the length of the car to where the original earth point was (long).
This is the only way we could stop my car from becoming 'positively-charged'. As a single earth so far away from anything (in the boot) wasn't strong enough.

Also, if you buy welder cable (for welder power cables) it will be far cheaper, and far better quality than the crap you'll get at Supercheap.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
what for? to run a fridge, sound system?

0 gauge sounds pretty overkill unless it's for a sound system - even then its pretty big.

if its just to run a fridge, lights, inverter etc - i'd say 6gauge minimum, 2gauge maximum. well protected in split tubing, and run away from anything sharp/hot, and no fuses or circuit breakers. decent 100amp isolator. and a good quality battery - AGM or Gel. and a good quality battery charger to charge the battery after its been flogged for the weekend.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
and a good quality battery charger to charge the battery after its been flogged for the weekend.

I think that the idea is to have the circuit so that the auxiliary battery is isolated during discharge but connected to the alternator when it (the alternator) is available for charging.

The usual method is to connect a relay across the charge warning light to switch the aux. battery in and out of the circuit .

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
I think that the idea is to have the circuit so that the auxiliary battery is isolated during discharge but connected to the alternator when it (the alternator) is available for charging.

The usual method is to connect a relay across the charge warning light to switch the aux. battery in and out of the circuit .

yeah but the alternator will never fully charge a battery. thus the topping it off with a good charger. especially if you flog it heaps.

rather spend $150odd on a good charger than be replacing $450 batteries more often than needed.

and if your going to do it properly, run a proper dual battery isolator - something that can handle 100amps at least.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Just a quick question if I may. For what purpose will you be installing a 2nd battery?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
What battery / wiring are you running at the moment mate? What gear are you running? Are you competing in DB Drags? .. Maybe how many watts are you running? You'll need a massive system to justify a second battery in a daily car.